Practice CVC words and short vowel sounds with this free printable read and cover CVC word game for kids.
Games are a great way to teach words to your little learners in a fun and interactive way. My kids love any activity that will let them do something fun while learning something new at the same time! This CVC Read and Cover word game is a helpful way to practice reading short vowel words in preschool, kindergarten and first grade, depending on your kids’ readiness for the skill.
SHORT VOWEL SOUNDS READ AND COVER CVC WORD GAME
I have shared a bunch of roll and say games for nearly every season and holiday. My newest read and cover game is perfect for a phonics activity or a quick interactive game for your kids. This free printable focuses on CVC word recognition to help your kids learn words for animals, objects, and more in a fun read and cover game!
We’ve put together a short video to help you get started playing and learning!
With this freebie, you can teach your kids to recall the names of objects and learn short vowel sounds.
Differentiate by choosing which word cards and game boards to use for your students.
Word cards with a picture prompt and word cards that include the CVC word text only are both included in this free printable. Use the picture prompt version with students just beginning to work with CVC words and switch to the text only version for those kids who are ready for an added challenge.
There are also differentiated game board options. One set includes the text and the picture. This set is best for kids just starting to work with CVC words.
The second game board set includes the picture only and can be paired with the text only word cards for the most challenging game option.
MATERIALS AND SETUP
You only need a few materials to play this read and cover game!
You just need one game board for each player, and a manipulative of your choice.
For manipulatives, you could use pom poms, bingo chips, or a similar manipulative to use. We’ve also used magnetic letters to represent the first letter in the CVC word as well.
HOW TO PLAY
For Independent Play
- Choose a word card. (Word cards can be placed in a stack face down or in a bag to add a bit more mystery in the selection process.)
- Stretch and read the word on the card.
- Using your manipulative of choice, place a manipulative on the game board on the matching picture for the card.
- Continue until you have all the squares covered.
- Finish by re-reading each card.
For Small Group Play
- Gather enough bingo cards for each child playing the game, and the corresponding game cards.
- Have your kids take turns selecting the word cards. Each kid will read the word and cover the corresponding space on their game board if they have the word.
- Keep playing until someone has reached bingo or a blackout (when all the spaces are covered).
- Finish by re-reading all cards as a group.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE CVC WORD GAME
In this 15-page free printable CVC Word game set you get:
- Two word card style variations (9 cards in each set): One set with picture prompts and one set with the CVC word only.
- Two sets of game boards (5 game boards in each set): One set with the picture only and one set with the word cues.
Don’t see the pink button? Click here to request the free printable.
For more rolling game fun, be sure to check out our Roll a Word Phonics Game!