In our CVC Word Game we focused on helping kids learn to blend and read basic short vowel words using a game that can be played independently or with a group. Once kids can read some CVC words word building mats are another fun and interactive way to help your kids learn new words. This free printable CVC word building mat is a great phonics activity for kids who know their letters and sounds and are ready to begin blending words.
CVC Word Building Mat
With this freebie, you can teach your kids to recall the names of objects and learn to read words with short vowel sounds.
The CVC Word Building Mat has five main sections:
- Place it. In this section kids can place one of the CVC prompt cards that are provided in the free printable. Alterantively, if you have small toys that relate to CVC words a real object could be placed in this section instead.
- Tap it. This section is designed to help kids orally segment and break apart the sounds in the word. Isolating these sounds will help them spell the word in the next section.
- Build it. Use this section to build the word with letter manipulatives. We’re using magnetic letters here, but you could also use letter tiles, letter rocks or any small letter manipulative you have on hand.
- Draw it. Here kids can do a quick sketch of the object. This helps reinforce the visual connection between the object and its spelling. It also adds in fine motor practice. Be sure to laminate the page or use a protector of some kind.
- Write it. Finally kids can put it altogether and write the word on their own for additional fine motor practice.
We’ve put together a short video to help you get started playing and learning!
MATERIALS AND SETUP
You won’t need much to set up this quick learning activity.
Start with the free printable CVC Word Building Mat (available for download below).
Add in either the word prompt cards or some small toys that relate to CVC words. To allow for differentiation we’ve included word prompt cards with and without word cues. Select the format you want to use with each group of students.
Cover your CVC Word Building Mat with a dry erase pocket (as pictured), a sheet protector or laminate it.
Gather letter manipulatives and a dry erase marker, and you’re set!
HOW TO PLAY
For each of the prompt cards your kids will:
- Place the card in the top left box
- Tap each dot to segment the sounds of the word
- Build the word using a letter manipulative (we use magnetic letters)
- Draw a picture of the object
- Write the word
Once you’ve finished, erase the card and repeat with a new prompt card.
For extra writing practice, have your kids record the words they’ve built on a separate sheet of paper. This will show them how many words they worked on and serve as a work sample, too.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE CVC WORD BUILDING MAT
This 9-page free printable includes:
- The CVC Word Building Mat
- 12 photo prompt cards with the text and picture
- 12 photo prompt cards with the picture only
- 12 photo prompt cards with the text only
Don’t see the pink button? Click here to request the free printable.
For more games for beginning readers, be sure to check out our Roll a Word Phonics Game!