All this week some of the members of the Kid Blogger Network are sharing resources to keep kids learning while school is out. We’re chiming in with tons of fun ways to teach the alphabet. Whether your child has been busy learning the ABCs all year or you’re just looking for some fun ways to expose your child to the alphabet, this collection of ABC activities should give you tons of ideas for helping kids remember the ABCs. Many of the fun ways to teach the ABCs include a summer twist, but they could be used any time of the year. In this massive collection you’ll find both alphabet activities for toddlers and great abc activities for preschool.
**This list is updated with new activities regularly.**
Top 10 Ways to Help Kids Remember the ABCs
ABC Activities with Fun Ways to Teach Letters
Go on an Alphabet Hunt to Learn Your ABCs
- Anytime, Anywhere ABC Hunt-Hide Alphabet Post-It Notes or flashcards and let kids find them all. We love doing this at home and in hotel rooms on vacation.
- ABC Water Balloon Hunt – Label water balloons with the letters of the alphabet. See if kids can find them all without breaking them.
- Car Ride Letter Hunt – Find the letters of the alphabet on road signs and license plates. Use a checklist or go in ABC order for more of a challenge.
- Grocery Store Letter Hunt – Find the letters of the alphabet on foods and signs in the grocery store. Use a checklist or go in ABC order for more of a challenge.
Get your kids up and moving with this fun Bug Spray Summer Alphabet Game
Use ice to learn the alphabet using this fun Ice Letter Hunt
Create your own outdoor alphabet scavenger hunt with this DIY ABC Paper Plate Checklist and Neighborhood Walk
Go for a letter scavenger hunt with this Alphabet Letters in Objects activity.
Learn the alphabet in this fun Glow in the Dark Letter Hunt activity.
Use photos to create this fun Alphabet Photo Scavenger Hunt.
Get outside and moving with this Garden ABC Letter Hunt!
Or use this full set of I Spy ABC Games — There are tons of options to try and ways to use them!
For even more ways to get kids moving while learning the alphabet visit our gross motor alphabet activities collection.
Find Creative Places to Practice the ABCs (Think: Windows, Fences, Sidewalks…)
This fun Alphabet Bug Spray activity will teach your kids all about bugs and the alphabet!
Get your kids outside to do some of these simple Sidewalk Chalk Letter Activities.
If your kids love sticky wall activities, they will love this Alphabet Sticky Wall.
Get your kids up and moving with this fun Outdoor Alphabet Track.
If your kids love firefighters, they will love this fun hands-on ABC Fireman Spray activity.
This simple Race Track ABC Game will give your kids hours of fun educational play time!
Window Write and Wipe – Use window markers to write letters on the window. Call out a letter and have kids wipe it away with a damp cloth.
Learning ABCs in the Tub or Kiddie Pool
- Put Them Up, Take Them Down-Toddlers especially love to put letters on the wall one-by-one. Use this time to name the letters as kids play.
- Puppet Play-Use a bath mitt, old glove, or sock puppet to swim through the water and eat up the letters. (My kids LOVE this!)
- Fish for Letters (Growing a Jeweled Rose)
- Magnetic Alphabet Bath (Bath Activities for Kids)
- Alphabet Goo Bath (Bath Activities for Kids)
- Alphabet Soup Bath (Bath Activities for Kids)
- DIY Bath Tub Drawing Board (Parent Teach Play)
- Fishing for the Alphabet Matching Game (The Imagination Tree)
Learn the ABCs Through Your Sensory Play Activities
This printable Ocean Theme ABC Sensory Bin is the perfect alphabet activity to play during the summer!
Kids are never too young to learn the alphabet when there is this fun Alphabet Sensory Play activity for them!
This simple ABC Rice Bin is part literacy and sensory fun!
These Icy Fizzing Letters make working with alphabet letters so much fun!
Create a beautiful and natural resource for learning the alphabet with these Alphabet Shells.
Make frozen letters into a fun way to learn the alphabet with this Alphabet Ice Block Play.
This Alphabet Sorting with Natural Materials is such a fun way for your little ones to learn the alphabet.
Your little ones are going to love this fun ABC Ping Pong Ball Sensory Tub activity.
This fun Hide-and-Seek Alphabet Play is a great way for your kids to learn the alphabet.
If you are looking for a great beginner sensory bin for your toddlers, this Alphabet Soup First Sensory Bin is a great option.
This Eye Spy Alphabet Squish Bag is so simple to make and a great activity for your kids to play with.
If your kids love water beads, they will love this fun and creative Alphabet Goo.
There are so many skills your child can learn and expand on with this Play Dough and Magnetic Letters activity.
Have some Smashin’ Ice Fun and break letters out of ice blocks!
This Alphabet Squish is the perfect alphabet and tactile activity for little ones.
This multi-sensory Alphabet Cups on the Light Box experience is a fun and unique way to teach kids the alphabet.
Use these Flower ABC Mats for Play Dough and Loose Parts to teach your kids the alphabet in a fun and flowery way!
Practice letter formation by using these Watermelon ABC Mats.
Play with the ABCs in the Sand (Box, Bin, or Beach)
- Write the letters. Let kids use their hands, twigs, small toy trucks, anything that will make an imprint.
- Hide letter manipulatives and gold coins in sand, and go on an Alphabet Treasure Hunt.
- Make and dig for Alphabet Fossils
- Bury and find some Alphabet Rocks (Thrive 360 Living)
Eat the Alphabet as a Fun Way to Learn Letters
- Read Eating the Alphabet
- Eat Through the ABCs-Each day for 26 days eat one (or more) food that starts with a letter of the alphabet. On “A Day,” eat apples. On “B Day,” eat bananas.
- Bake alphabet bread (Nurture Store)
- Use ABC cookie cutters to make your own alphabet foods. They are great for watermelon, cheese, thin breads, and well…cookies! Preschoolers will enjoy helping make snack and learning letters at the same time.
- Use foods to make letters. Try using carrots, celery sticks, small crackers, halved grapes, or pretzel sticks.
- Find some ABC food inspiration in this list of A to Z Party Food Alphabet Ideas (Learn with Play at Home)
Read ABC Books
You can find alphabet books for almost any topic that might interest your child. Have fun exploring some new ones together. Here are a few lists to give you some fresh ideas.
- 50 Fantastic Alphabet Books for Kids (No Time for Flashcards)
The list below includes some summer-inspired ABC books that would be great to read while school is out.
- Discovering Nature’s Alphabet
- Summer Stinks
- Into The A, B, Sea: An Ocean Alphabet Book
- The Ocean Alphabet Book
- A Swim Through the Sea
- S Is for S’mores: A Camping Alphabet
- H Is for Hook: A Fishing Alphabet
- The Butterfly Alphabet Book
- Alpha Bugs: A Pop-up Alphabet
- The Icky Bug Counting Book
We also have a list of our favorite fall ABC Books.
Make Your Own ABC Book
ABC Books are great to make with young kids. Help set up a book that your child can make and read over and over again. Some topics you might consider…
- ABC Yarn Book (Small Types)
- Personalized ABC Book (This Fine Day)
- ABCs of Summer
- ABCs of Our Family Vacation
- ABCs of Your Child’s Favorite Things
- ABCs of a special interest-dance, bugs, sea life-anything that your child is interested in.
Form Letters with a Variety of Materials
Use this Floor Tape Letters idea from I Can Teach My Child for kids just beginning to form letters. Encourage others to construct the letters without a guide.
- Pipe cleaners (Make and Takes)
- Wiki Stix or Bendaroos
- Craft Sticks
- Spaghetti noodles (try both dry and wet)
- Marshmallows and toothpicks
- Small toys (blocks, toy cars, Legos, dominoes)
- Items collected from nature (Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes)
You’ll see some of these and many more ideas in the 125+ Ways to Practice Making Letters (In Lieu of Preschool)
Play ABC Games
These 12 Games to Play with ABC Sticky Notes are a fun way for your kids to learn the alphabet.
This ABC Slam! Game is toddler approved and perfect for your little ones.
This fun letter Alphabet Sound Machine game is perfect for early literacy.
Your kids will love pretending to be a mailman with this fun Alphabet Mail Pretend Play.
Help your kids learn the alphabet with this Hungry Bear Alphabet Game.
If your kids love playing with cars, they will love this fun Alphabet Parking Lot Letter Matching Game.
Your kids will have fun learning letters using this fun Alphabet Car Game
Practice letter recognition and learn letter sounds using this Roll and Say Summer ABC Game
Use colorful gems to match up uppercase and lowercase letters using this Alphabet Gems Letter Match
If your kids loved Don’t Spill the Beans, they will enjoy this fun Don’t Spill the Letters Game with an educational twist
If you are on a long car ride with kids, keep them learning with this fun Cardboard Tube and ABC Stickers Letter Matching
Your kids will love delivering letters using this fun Letter Delivery Game
This Magnetic Letter Sorting Ideas is a fun way to practice letter recognition in a fun and hands-on way.
From story retelling to alphabet and phonemic awareness, this Jack and the Beanstalk ABC Game has it all!
This fun Alphabet Balloon Touch combines gross motor development and letter recognition all in one fun game!
Your kids will have a ball playing this ABC Beach Ball game
Let your kids play with water balloons and learn the alphabet using this fun Water Balloon Target Practice
Teaching letter sounds doesn’t have to be boring with this Musical Alphabet Game
Make your own fun puppet theatre with this ABC Puppet Show
Add some learning to your child’s favorite train set with this Train Set Letter Play
Your kids will have fun learning letters and get some pretend play in too this summer with this ABC Ice Cream Gross Motor Game
If your kids loved the book School Bus, they will love this fun School Bus ABC Game
Make charades educational with this fun Alphabet Letter Charades game
This simple yet fun Alphabet Letter Monster game for preschoolers will be a hit with your little ones
This fun Runaway Letter game will help kids identify letters in a fun and creative way.
This Hot Cocoa Roll and Say Winter ABC Game is so quick to set up and a fun way to learn letter recognition.
You don’t need to prepare anything to play this fun flower themed No Prep Roll and Say Spring ABC Game
Practice matching letters with this cool Watermelon ABC Matching Game
The list below includes some great ABC games if you are looking to add some to your game collection.
This fun Eric Carle ABC Game is based on popular books from Eric Carle’s collection!
Practice key reading skills using this Super Why ABC Letter Preschool Game
Get your kids up and moving while they learn with this Dr. Seuss Super Stretchy ABCs
If your kids love the classic story Goodnight Moon, they will love this Goodnight Moon My World ABC Game
This fast paced Spot It! Alphabet game is perfect for anyone looking to practice letter recognition.
Practice letter names, sounds, and more using this cool Grandma’s Trunk Alphabet Game
This Melissa & Doug Undersea Alphabet Soup Game makes learning letter recognition and spelling way more fun!
Encourage learning and creativity using this Alphabet Squiggle Game
This fun Learning Resources Pop for Letters Game is perfect for learning sounds or letter recognition.
This Capital and Lowercase Letter Matching Game will teach early reading skills to your kids in a fun and interactive way!
If your kids love Go Fish, they will love this learning twist on a classic game with Alphabet Go Fish Letter Matching Card Game
Practice letter recognition while hunting for treasure with Alphabet Island Letter & Sounds Game
This Alphabet Slap Jack learning game will teach your kids about upper and lowercase letters and so much more!
And don’t forget about alphabet apps. There are some terrific ones for kids! See our full review of Avokiddo ABC Ride to learn more about this interactive app with 26 engaging scenes.
With so many terrific ideas out there for learning letters, there is no way I could include them all here. You can find even more great ideas in these collections from other members of the Kid Blogger Network.
50 Incredible Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers (Hands On As We Grow)
The A-Z of Learning Letters (Learn with Play at Home)
25 Alphabet Activities for Kids (No Time for Flashcards)
Use Alphabet Mats to Learn the ABCs
ABC letter mats can be a versatile tool to use in early childhood learning. They can be laminated and used over and over again for letter formation and writing activities. They can also be used to create alphabet books, posters and more. Letter crafts and process art activities related to a letter you are learning can be a fun way for kids to make connections between a letter and something that starts with that beginning sound. In our Alphabet Letter Mats set you’ll find two full sets of alphabet mats to use and tons of ideas for using them. There are over 140 ideas for using the alphabet mats in meaningful ways to reinforce letter recognition and learning letter sounds.
This 181-page resource pack contains the following:
1) Suggestions for Using the Letter Mats-These ideas include ways to use the mats for small group and center activities and can be done for any letter of the alphabet.
2) Process Art Ideas for Each Letter of the Alphabet-60 ideas!
3) Collage and Texture Art Ideas for Each Letter of the Alphabet-54 ideas!
4) Complete sets of alphabet mats in two different font options.
I know this post was long, but I hope you find it useful. Thanks for reading along! Happy letter learning!
More Alphabet Activities
Try these excellent resources for more hands-on alphabet activities.
More About the School’s Out! Series
Visit This Reading Mama to learn more about School’s Out: A Top 10 Series and check out all the resources shared by over 20 mama bloggers from the KBN.