Matching games are great for little ones to sharpen their memory and build cognitive skills. This Mitten ABC Matching Game is a wonderful winter activity that will help children learn the difference between uppercase and lowercase letters and how to match the corresponding upper and lowercase letters of the alphabet. It’s an excellent ABC game for preschoolers and kindergarteners. It also very simple to set up. All you will need is the free printable and a pair of scissors!
Mitten ABC Matching Game
GET A FULL WEEK OF WINTER THEME ACTIVITIES WITH OUR PRESCHOOL WINTER LESSON PLANS
Ways to Play The Mitten ABC Matching Game
The free printable includes ABC mitten cutouts that have both uppercase and lowercase letters on a matching set of mittens.
There are two sets of mittens provided in this freebie. One set includes mitten sets of different colors, and the other set includes mittens that are all the same color.
This is a simple way to differentiate the activity.
The multi-colored set will work best for those who need a little extra help matching the upper and lowercase letters. They can use the colors as an extra self-checking clue.
The mitten set that is all the same color is for those who are ready for more of a challenge and already have a fairly strong grasp of the matching skill.
Simply have kids match the uppercase mitten with the corresponding lowercase mitten by placing them next to one another.
This photo below is an example of the colorful set that allows kids to eliminate some options and potentially use the colors as a guide.
If kids will be using the mittens independently, you can make this a self-checking activity by writing the corresponding match on the back of each mitten.
For example on the back of the uppercase A mitten, you would write the lowercase a. That way kids can flip their pairs over once they are finished, to check their work.
Possible Extension Activities
Try these additional activities to extend the learning with this Mitten ABC Matching Game:
- Have your kids match magnetic letters to the puzzles after matching each set.
- Incorporate fine motor practice by having kids use a clothespin to attach the uppercase and lowercase mittens together in a set
- Hang a clothesline in the play space and have kids hang their matching sets on the clothesline (These can be added to an existing dramatic play area to weave literacy into pretend play.)
- Play a circle time game. Give each kid in the circle a mitten. Be sure the matching mitten is also handed out to another child. Have kids find their partner. Then help everyone line up in ABC order based on their mitten pair.
As another extension activity, you might have kids use the mittens as letter formation prompts for a sensory writing tray or letter building with manipulatives.
You could use cotton balls, buttons, colorful pompom balls and more for letter formation.
No matter what items you decide to you use, you’re adding in a great way to develop fine motor skills to this fun activity!
Get Your Free Mitten ABC Matching Game
The 20-page Mitten ABC Matching Game includes:
- Directions and tips for differentiating the activity
- Uppercase and lowercase mittens in one color
- Uppercase and lowercase mittens in a variety of colors
MORE WINTER FUN WITH PRINTABLE WINTER THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. We have a variety of lesson plan sets that work well as winter themes. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
Get a full week of lessons and activities inspired by The Mitten from Jan Brett. In the lesson plan set kids participate in reading comprehension activities related to the story, learn about real animals, and participate in cross-curricular activities inspired by concepts in the book. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) 10 Little Trees Winter Song and Number Cards (in color and b/w)
2) Get Dressed for Winter Activity Mats and Clothing (in color and b/w)
3) Hot Cocoa Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
4) Winter Color Matching Puzzles
5) What Can We Do in Winter? Emergent Reader (4 versions)
6) Child and Snow Angel Uppercase and Lowercase Alphabet Matching (in color and b/w)
7) Winter Number Cards 0-35 (3 versions in color and b/w)
8) Winter Roll and Graph (in color and b/w)
9) Winter Tree Dice Game (in color and b/w)
10) Winter Picture-Word Cards
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.