After making our bear caves we used them to play an ABC game. We made a quick blue lake out of construction paper and filled it with ABC fish (magnetic letters).
FIND EVEN MORE FOREST THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR
Then the kids took turns being the bear. On their turn they would GROWL as loud as they could and then say, “I’m hungry for a G (or any letter) fish! They LOVED being the bear, and they were pretty convincing.
After “the bear” growled and said what kind of fish to look for, the other child found the letter and put it in the bear cave.
This was a really fun way to practice letter recognition and taking turns.
This game could also be modified to practice other skills by including:
- magnetic numbers to practice number recognition
- colored pom poms to practice color recognition
- sight word cards to practice sight words
After playing this game we read Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep! The story made the kids giggle, and it gave us a wonderful opportunity to talk about rhyming words. In the story bear is being told to go to sleep, but he doesn’t hear so well. Instead he thinks he hears sweep, drive a jeep, and leap, among other silly things. We acted out the bears actions in the story and discussed which words rhyme with sleep.
What games do you play to practice letter recognition? Do you have any favorite bear stories to go along with a forest or hibernation theme?
MORE FOREST FUN WITH PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Forest vs Ocean Animals Sorting Activity
2) Forest Animal Addition Activity
3) The Forest Emergent Reader (3 Versions)
4) Forest Roll and Graph Cube and Recording Sheet
5) “A Walk in the Forest” Math Game Board
6) Number Cubes for “A Walk in The Forest” and other Math Games (4 Versions)
7) Animal Tracks Matching Cards (in color and b/w)
8) Forest Animal Picture Cards (in color and b/w)
9) Forest Animal Pictures with Labels (in color and b/w)
10) Forest Animal Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Forest Animal Syllable Sorting Activity Mats
12) Forest Letter Puzzles (in color and b/w)
13) Teddy Bear Pattern Prompt Cards
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.