Salt painting is such a fun process art activity for kids and the creations always turn out so gorgeous. We did this simple art technique and then turned them into a kid-made Christmas ornament that can be hung on the Christmas tree or combined to make a Christmas garland.
GET A FULL WEEK OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL CHRISTMAS LESSON PLANS.
Affiliate links included.
- Watercolor paper
- Food coloring or liquid watercolors
- Epsom salt (or table salt if you don’t have Epsom salt)
- Hole punch
- Decorative Ribbon
Get started by having kids randomly squeeze glue on the watercolor paper. This is a great step to do the day before you want to paint, because they will need to dry overnight.
Use pipettes to drop liquid watercolors or food coloring with a bit of water onto the watercolor paper. We chose to keep the colors separate so we wouldn’t have a brown mixture for our ornaments.
Sprinkle Epsom salt on the watercolors and let the paintings dry overnight. Once they are dry shake off the extra salt. You’ll have a beautiful sparkling painting.
Cut them into traditional holiday ornaments shapes. Punch a hole and add ribbon. Then hang them on your Christmas tree or lace them together to make a festive holiday garland.
More Kid-Made Christmas Ornaments
GET A FULL SET OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES
Explore the symbols and traditions of Christmas and incorporate reading, math, science and more in this 169-page preschool secular Christmas lesson plan set full of fun and playful Christmas learning activities for preschool. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
The 169-page Christmas Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Beginning Letters Gift Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
2) Reindeer Math Mats (2 versions in color and b/w)
3) My Christmas Senses Activity Book Making Pieces
4) 0-35 Christmas Number Cards (2 versions in color and b/w)
5) Christmas Counting Syllables Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
6) Christmas Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
7) Ornament Play Dough Mats
8) Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Task Cards (shapes, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, number 0-20)
9) Christmas Light Patterns Activity Pieces (in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.