Making Christmas ornaments is one of our favorite holiday traditions. So far we like to stick to easy ornaments that the girls can make without too much help from me. This Christmas tree ornament is one that preschoolers and school age kids can make with just a little help from an adult, so it’s perfect for holiday crafting at home or at school.
GET A FULL WEEK OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL CHRISTMAS LESSON PLANS.
- Green Mesh Plastic Canvas (link to similar)
- Green yarn
- Knitting needle
- Mini tinsel pom poms
- White glue
Cut the green mesh into triangles of different sizes and angles. Then thread the green yarn through the knitting needle. Let kids choose a triangle to start with. Then get them started by tying off the end of the yarn and modeling how to go in and out of the mesh holes.
Older kids may want to create a pattern or follow the holes in order, but younger kids will likely enjoy sewing in and out of the mesh in a more open-ended way. That’s fine! The ornaments will turn out adorable either way.
The only assistance needed from adults at this point is just helping make sure kids pull the yarn all the way through each time so there aren’t loops of excess yarn hang out.
Once kids have added as much green yarn as they’d like help them tie off and knot the end. Then add a little loop of yarn to the top as an ornament hanger.
Finally let kids use place the pom poms on the trees with white glue. If you’d like to wait for one side to dry, you can also place pom poms on the back of the Christmas trees to make them two-sided.
More Kid-Made Christmas Ornaments
GET A FULL SET OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES
The 169-page Christmas Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Beginning Letters Gift Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
2) Reindeer Math Mats (2 versions in color and b/w)
3) My Christmas Senses Activity Book Making Pieces
4) 0-35 Christmas Number Cards (2 versions in color and b/w)
5) Christmas Counting Syllables Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
6) Christmas Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
7) Ornament Play Dough Mats
8) Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Task Cards (shapes, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, number 0-20)
9) Christmas Light Patterns Activity Pieces (in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.