Earlier this week I shared our reindeer play dough invitation that was inspired by a few twigs in the yard. The smooth chocolaty play dough we made for that was just begging to be used for more play and learning, so I put it to use in this alphabet matching activity. Use it as a fun Christmas learning activity to practice the ABCs.
GET A FULL WEEK OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL CHRISTMAS LESSON PLANS.
Affiliate link included.
- Chocolate play dough (see full recipe in the reindeer play dough post)
- Googly eyes
- Red and black buttons
- Brown sharpie
- Wooden craft spoons
Gather materials into a tray or small containers for play time. Label the craft spoons with upper and lowercase letters so that kids can match them. I also rolled the play dough into balls, but you can leave it however you’d like. Kids will have fun making all sorts of shapes for their reindeer.
Tinker had so much fun making her little ABC reindeer. She started by matching all the letters. Then she added facial features. She even decided to go in and add eyebrows, mouths, and dimples.
This is a fun way to practice the ABCs as the holidays approach.
Pair this activity with some of the books from our reindeer book list.
Continue the Learning & Play
with the Shape Reindeer Printable Set
Inside the 30-page Shape Reindeer Process Art and Math set you’ll get:
- Complete list of material suggestions
- Full directions for using both sets of shape art templates
- 9 extension activities, including math and literacy, to help you teach additional skills and concepts using your kids’ creations
- Shape Set with Title and Borders
- Plain Shape Set for Cutting Out Reindeer Shapes
- Sorting Cards for Math Whole Group and Small Group Activities
- Class Book Cover Template
Get Your Shape Reindeer Process Art Set Here
More Reindeer Fun
GET A FULL SET OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES
Explore the symbols and traditions of Christmas and incorporate reading, math, science and more in this 169-page preschool secular Christmas lesson plan set full of fun and playful Christmas learning activities for preschool. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
The 169-page Christmas Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Beginning Letters Gift Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
2) Reindeer Math Mats (2 versions in color and b/w)
3) My Christmas Senses Activity Book Making Pieces
4) 0-35 Christmas Number Cards (2 versions in color and b/w)
5) Christmas Counting Syllables Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
6) Christmas Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
7) Ornament Play Dough Mats
8) Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Task Cards (shapes, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, number 0-20)
9) Christmas Light Patterns Activity Pieces (in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Leave a Reply