In honor of International Space Day on May 3rd we thought it would be fun to Discover and Explore The Nighttime Sky this week.
When I taught in the classroom, I was blessed to teach at a NASA Explorer School. As part of the program kids were introduced to some amazing hands-on science activities and resources starting in kindergarten. Kids are often fascinated by space, and as their teacher I loved to see their eyes light up as we started to talk about the stars, the moon, and the nighttime sky.
Here on Fantastic Fun and Learning we’ve done a few simple activities to learn about the night sky.
We put together a very easy to make night sky felt set, and the kids had fun using it for pretend play and various math games.
To practice letter recognition and fine motor skills, we played with night sky playdough and created a N is for nighttime letter craft.
A cozy night sky reading nook made the perfect hiding spot for reading and play.
The kids learned about the surface of the moon by making craters and creating their own moon crafts.
And you know we didn’t learn about the nighttime sky without reading some great books. The widget below includes a handful of our favorites for this theme.
Your kids might also enjoy exploring the NASA Kids’ Club website. There are games and information for kids of various ages. There are also links to some fabulous videos and images from NASA…perfect for helping kids to visualize a concept that can be very abstract.
We’d love for you to share how you
Discover & Explore: Moons, Stars and the Night Sky!
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, book activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, free printables–anything that might be helpful to those wanting to put together activities based on this week’s theme.
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you are linking up, please be sure to grab and post the Discover and Explore button. We love to share! And we want as many people to add their posts as possible, so we have a wonderful collection to share with you.
The linky will remain open for two weeks. Then both co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post and share featured posts on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. If you aren’t already, please remember to follow us so you’re sure not to miss those feature posts.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/category/discover-and-explore" title="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Discover125x125.png" alt="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Previous Discover and Explore Themes
Upcoming Discover and Explore Themes
- May 8-Flowers
- May 15-Enjoy a Day at the Park (nature & outdoor activities)
- May 22-Art & Museum Fun
- May 29-Backyard Games
- June 5-Zoos
Don’t forget to stop by KC Edventures to see what Jacquie is sharing for this week’s theme.
This post has been shared at some of these fantastic link parties.
This post contains affiliate links.