The girls have enjoyed using our play dough writing tray to practice forming letters and writing spelling words, so I thought we’d make a new tray with a holiday twist. Sometimes changing just a couple of elements can give an activity brand new appeal. This candy cane play dough writing tray is perfect for writing activities during the month of December.
GET A FULL WEEK OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL CHRISTMAS LESSON PLANS.
Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Tray
Affiliate links included.
- Play Dough-We used red and white play dough with an added touch of peppermint scent.
- Candy Cane Writing Tool-We used plastic ones, but strong real candy canes might work too.
- Printable Task Cards (optional)
You can prepare the tray and lay out the play dough if you’d like, or you can invite kids to make their own play dough designs. YES! The play dough will get mixed, but the marbling of the red and white as they colors mix together is part of the fun! The tray can continue to be used long after the dough is mixed.
Play and Learn
There are a variety of ways to use this tray.
Very young kids can practice making marks-lines, curves, etc.
As kids get older and have more fine motor control they can practice making shapes, letters, or numbers. We’ve included free printable task cards that you can set out with the tray to encourage kids to practice specific writing tasks.
School age kids can set the dough up as pictured below and practice writing CVC words.
More Candy Cane Fun
GET A FULL SET OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES
The 169-page Christmas Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Beginning Letters Gift Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
2) Reindeer Math Mats (2 versions in color and b/w)
3) My Christmas Senses Activity Book Making Pieces
4) 0-35 Christmas Number Cards (2 versions in color and b/w)
5) Christmas Counting Syllables Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
6) Christmas Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
7) Ornament Play Dough Mats
8) Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Task Cards (shapes, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, number 0-20)
9) Christmas Light Patterns Activity Pieces (in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.