There are so many fun shape recognition activities to do with preschoolers. There are plenty of ways to make learning shapes fun. You can use sensory play activities, art projects, and even pretend play to help your little ones learn more about shapes and their characteristics. This free printable set of 2D Shape Puzzles is a quick prep way to help preschoolers and kindergarteners practice shapes and shape word recognition.
2D Shape Puzzles Freebie
In this set of shape puzzles we’re using clip art pictures to show the shapes in different forms. We also have a set of photo shape puzzles if you’d like to use another format with real pictures.
There are a variety of ways to use these shape puzzle sets, and they are designed so that it is easy to remove a component in order to differentiate.
When working with multiple puzzles at once we recommend first sorting the pieces by shape and then working on the individual puzzle. This help break the task down so kids can focus on one step at a time.
You can also use the puzzle pieces without the word cards if you prefer.
If you’d like to make the puzzles self-checking, you may also add a sticker or colored dot on the corresponding pieces for each puzzle for children to check once they are finished putting the pieces together. However, this isn’t often necessary as the puzzles will only fit together if the correct pieces are chosen.
To make the activity a bit more playful and extend playtime you might also consider;
- Hiding puzzle pieces in a sensory bin with a favorite filler for kids to locate and sort the pieces before assembling the puzzles
- Hiding puzzle pieces around the room for a shapes scavenger hunt before having kids assemble the puzzles
The word cards can also be used to help kids learn to recognize the words in print:
- For kids who are just beginning to learn shapes, you might choose to use the simple shape cards with the shape names only.
- As kids are ready to work on shape words you might use the shape name cards as flashcards in order to have children repeat and learn the words.
Additional activities to extend learning:
- Have older children place the shape cards in alphabetical order
- Kids can copy the words onto paper to help practice writing shape words and working on their fine motor skills.
- Have kids find items around the classroom that correspond with each shape.
- Share snacks that correspond to certain shapes such as crackers for squares, ovals or circles, grapes for ovals, cheese for triangles, etc. and have them name the shapes.
Get the free printable 2D Shape Puzzles
This free printable includes 2D shape puzzles and word cards for the following shapes:
4-in-1 2D Shapes Digital Activities Bundle
This 4-in-1 bundle includes four interactive, self-checking games to help children practice identifying 2D shapes and their characteristics.
All four games can be downloaded in Google Slides or Seesaw based on your preference.
These digital games can be used for:
- distance learning
- tablet or computer center options in the classroom
- whole group practice via a class projection device
- small group instruction with or without technology (printable pages are included)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.