Play this fun free printable winter shapes game, and kids will have fun as they roll and say 2D shapes.
Games are a fun way to help your kids learn new concepts and teach specific skills. They get the time to work on learning something new while having fun at the same time!
Over the years, I’ve shared a bunch of roll and say games and have even developed an entire preschool winter theme full of activities. Today’s free printable focuses on shape activities to help your kids learn shapes with a fun winter-themed game.
With this freebie, you can help your kids recall the names of shapes and characteristics of 2D shapes.
Roll and Say Winter Shapes Game
GET A FULL WEEK OF WINTER THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRESCHOOL WINTER LESSON PLANS.
MATERIALS AND SETUP
There is very little set up required for this winter shapes game!
You will need at least one game board for each child that is playing, or kids can buddy up with a partner and take turns.
You can also print two of the game boards and have kids cover the shapes on one of them as they roll and say on the original mat. This is a great way to keep track of the ones they have already done.
To keep everything from rolling everywhere, I highly recommend that you play the main game board on a cookie sheet or tray that has raised edges.
Grab your favorite winter manipulative to use as game pieces. You might try using pom poms (as pictured), snowflake beads, mini marshmallows, white pony beads, and even mini snowflake erasers.
HOW TO PLAY
To play the game, have a child roll your game piece (a pom pom in our example) and then say the name of the shape that the piece lands on or is closest to.
Then, pick up the game piece and continue to roll again and again! Each time they will call out the name of the shape that the game piece lands on! This is an excellent activity for extra fine motor practice!
SEE THIS PRINTABLE IN ACTION
Watch this quick clip to see this fun roll and say game in action!
WAYS TO PLAY
- Single player, one board: In this variation of the game, one child can play by simply rolling and saying the shape. You can do this one without a time limit, or you can set a timer to note when the game is done.
- Single player, two boards: In this variation of the game, the child will have the board set up as described, but they will also have an additional game board to the side. As the child rolls the game piece and says the shape, they can cover the shape on the second game board. This option has a different goal in mind where the child is trying to land on each shape at least once. The second game board is used as a tracking sheet. The child can play until they have one of each shape or you can extend the game by playing until there are two or three pieces of each shape.
- Two players, one board: In this version of the game, two players will take turns rolling and saying the shape that they land on using the same board. This is a great opportunity for kids who need a little extra support and one child who is familiar with the shapes.
- Two players, three boards: This final option for playing this game allows kids to have their own tracking sheet. They take turns rolling, saying, and covering the shapes until one person has covered their full board or both have fully covered their boards.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE ROLL & SAY WINTER 2D SHAPES GAME
Click the pink button below to get your free printable!
Don’t see the pink button?
PRINTABLE WINTER RELATED LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. We have a variety of lesson plan sets that work well as winter themes. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) 10 Little Trees Winter Song and Number Cards (in color and b/w)
2) Get Dressed for Winter Activity Mats and Clothing (in color and b/w)
3) Hot Cocoa Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
4) Winter Color Matching Puzzles
5) What Can We Do in Winter? Emergent Reader (4 versions)
6) Child and Snow Angel Uppercase and Lowercase Alphabet Matching (in color and b/w)
7) Winter Number Cards 0-35 (3 versions in color and b/w)
8) Winter Roll and Graph (in color and b/w)
9) Winter Tree Dice Game (in color and b/w)
10) Winter Picture-Word Cards
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.