Once your kids have grasped the basics of combining sets and telling stories about joining groups of objects, we can start introducing addition and gently exposing them to math facts with fun activities like this seashell addition game.
This isn’t something they will master in preschool or kindergarten, but something they will gradually learn over time. They will learn to understand the concept of addition and work toward being able to recall math facts to be used later to solve more complex math problems. Using hands-on activities like this seashell addition activity, we can give kids opportunities to model and make sense of these early addition concepts to help them recognize math facts.
GET A FULL WEEK OF SHELL THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
Seashell Addition Game
This printable seashell addition activity works well as
- a small group activity during math groups
- a math center option during center time
- an independent activity for early finishers
- a complementary activity with our free printable Seashell Counting Mats
WAYS TO USE THE SEASHELL ADDITION ACTIVITY
This activity is designed to be versatile. That way you can prepare it and use it to fit the needs of your students and your preferences.
You can print out the bucket mats as they are on a full page and cut out the shells with the addends. You can then let your kids match the shells to the corresponding mat.
You could also use the shells with the blank rectangles (not pictured) and let the kids who are ready create their own sets of addends for each sum. If you are going to use this method, be sure to laminate and use dry-erase markers.
Another option would be to use real shells in two different types to make the activity even more hands-on. You can have your kids create their own combinations to match the sum on the buckets. This is great to do as an introductory activity in small groups before you add in the printed shells for extra independent practice.
There are a ton of possibilities! Your kids may even come up with more ideas as they start working with this free printable. Be open to their ideas!
GET YOUR FREE Seashell Addition Game
The 12-page shell addition math game freebie includes:
- Bucket mats with numbers 6-10
- Printable seashells with different ways to show numbers 6-10
- 6 empty shells to create your own addends
GET A FULL WEEK OF SHELL THEME LEARNING AND PLAY
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Collecting Seashells Counting Emergent Reader (three variations)
2) Dissolving Shells Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
3) 0-35 Shell Theme Number Cards
4) Shell Roll and Graph Math Activity
5) Types of Shells Photograph and Label Cards
6) Alphabet Recording Sheet for Seashell ABC Hunt (3 versions in both color and b/w)
7) Seashell Shapes Mats and Activity
8) Beginning Sound Seashell Sort Activity
9) My Shell Words Sight Word Recording Sheets (in color and b/w)
10) A to Z Shell Theme Letter Formation Work Mats