I shared recently that Lovey is working on beginning math facts and number bonds. She had so much fun with our turkey addition activity that I thought we’d continue practicing the same idea with a Christmas twist. All you need is some construction paper, craft sticks, glue, a marker and scissors to create your own version. You’ve probably got all that already!
GET A FULL WEEK OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL CHRISTMAS LESSON PLANS.
To create the activity I traced Lovey’s shoe to create a reindeer head. You can create as many as you’d like. I made six. Then I cut out a some white and black circles and glued them on to the brown paper.
Then I cut out red circle noses and labeled them with the numbers we wanted to make number bonds for. I focused on numbers 5 through 10 for this activity.
If you are going to be using this activity a lot or using it in a classroom, I recommend laminating the reindeer head and noses at this point to make them more durable.
Then set the materials out with some craft sticks and invite kids to come play.
We started by choosing a reindeer nose and placing it on the reindeer face. Then Lovey created two antlers to show number bonds that could make the number. Here she shows 3 and 3.
Be sure to encourage kids to try and make as many ways to show the same number as they can think of. It’s important for them to understand that the same number can be formed different ways.
If you have younger siblings or children working at different skill levels this can also be a great counting activity. Instead of focusing on the number bonds, kids can simply match the amount of craft sticks used to make the antlers to the reindeer nose.
And when you’re done, don’t forget to read some great reindeer books to tie in a bit of literacy. This book list includes some great recommendations.
Playful Reindeer Learning & Fun
Inside the 30-page Shape Reindeer Process Art and Math set you’ll get:
- Complete list of material suggestions
- Full directions for using both sets of shape art templates
- 9 extension activities, including math and literacy, to help you teach additional skills and concepts using your kids’ creations
- Shape Set with Title and Borders
- Plain Shape Set for Cutting Out Reindeer Shapes
- Sorting Cards for Math Whole Group and Small Group Activities
- Class Book Cover Template
More Reindeer Fun
GET A FULL SET OF CHRISTMAS THEME ACTIVITIES
The 169-page Christmas Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Beginning Letters Gift Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
2) Reindeer Math Mats (2 versions in color and b/w)
3) My Christmas Senses Activity Book Making Pieces
4) 0-35 Christmas Number Cards (2 versions in color and b/w)
5) Christmas Counting Syllables Sorting Game (in color and b/w)
6) Christmas Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
7) Ornament Play Dough Mats
8) Candy Cane Play Dough Writing Task Cards (shapes, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, number 0-20)
9) Christmas Light Patterns Activity Pieces (in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.