We always have so much fun with our spider headbands this time of year, so I thought it would be fun to make a new version. These monsters are just as fun, and I love that kids can get creative with their own monster designs.
FIND EVEN MORE MONSTER THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
We started with some basic craft materials: paper, jewels, googly eyes, curling ribbon, straws, and chenille stems.
If you have sentence strips they’ll come in handy for making the headbands, but we only head regular paper. I made the headband long enough by cutting two strips and taping them together. I placed the headbands out with tape, glue, and the collage materials, and the girls got to work.
I suggested that they add the ribbon and paper strips to the back first so they would have room to decorate the front with other materials. They figured out quickly which items worked better with tape and which worked better with glue, and I enjoyed watching them problem solve together as they discussed which craft materials worked best and why.
Once they added enough ribbon and paper “hair” we flipped the headbands over. Then they decorated the front with eyes, mouths, and other details.
Once everything was dry we stapled the headbands to fit the girls’ heads. Now isn’t that the cutest scary monster you’ve ever seen! She couldn’t figure out why I kept laughing instead of running in fear.
Can you imagine a whole classroom of these cute little monsters? So fun!
Monster Books & More
PRINTABLE MONSTER THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
The full Monster Theme Lesson Plan Pack also includes:
1) Monster Calendar (or general number) Cards
2) Uppercase Monster Letter Cards
3) Lowercase Monster Letter Cards
4) Color Matching Monster Mats and Activity Pieces
5) Counting Monster Mats (1-10)
6) Roll and Count Monster Math Game Boards (6 versions)
7) Feed the Monster Templates
8) Monster Munchies Beginning Sound Cards
9) Number Cubes (6 versions) for Monster Math Activities
10) Roll-A-Monster Creative Art Activity Pieces and Game Cube
11) Monsters’ Healthy Choices Recording Sheet
12) Monster Hourse Beginning Sound Sort
13) Monster Number Cards(0-35)
14) Where Do Monsters Live Book Making Guide and Printable Pages
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.