This week for Discover & Explore our theme is Dinosaurs & Fossil Fun. After reading some of our favorite dinosaur books we made this sparkly and easy dinosaur craft. This easy dinosaur craft is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers, but kids of all ages can join in too. We start by creating a bit of dinsaur art with sparkly watercolors then embelish it a bit. If you are looking for a quick but fun dinosaur art project, this is a great option. Check out the girl’s creations. Then don’t forget to link up your dinosaur and fossil ideas in the linky below.
FIND EVEN MORE DINOSAUR THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
- White paper or card stock (We like to use card stock when using watercolors. Either freehand or search Google Images to find a template to trace and cut the paper into a dinosaur shape.)
- Glitter Watercolors and paint brush (Regular watercolors will also work just fine. We recently discovered glitter watercolors, and the girls are using them almost daily. I love the extra sparkle!)
- Googly eyes
- Sequins (We used blue and green from a variety pack.)
- Elmer’s Washable Glitter Glue (We used blue. White glue would work well too. Tinker is a glitter glue-aholic.)
Making Your Easy Dinosaur Craft
Both girls were excited to see the dinosaur shape sitting out on our craft table, and they started painting right away.
Once their dinosaurs were dry I set out the googly eyes, sequins, and glitter glue for the girls to begin decorating their dinosaurs.
Squeezing the glue bottle and pinching those little sequins and googly eyes are both terrific ways for toddlers to strengthen fine motor skills.
Tinker was especially proud of her finished dinosaur.
Lovey decided the dinosaurs needed a sparkly home to live in, so she decided that will be her next project. I love to see her coming up with her own creative ideas!
Below are some of our favorite dinosaur books.
More Dinosaur Fun on Fantastic Fun and Learning
MORE DINOSAUR FUN WITH PRINTABLE DINOSAUR THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
The full Dinosaur Theme Lesson Plan Pack also includes:
1) Dinosaur Cards for sorting by color, making patterns and more
2) Counting Dinosaur Eggs Activity (1-10) in color and B/W
3) Count the Dinosaurs Emergent Reade (3 variations)
4) Dinosaur Roll and Graph Game in color and B/W
5) Dinosaur Skeleton Activity Mats
6) Dinosaur Word Cards
7) Beginning Sound Dinosaur Sort (D, I, N, O)
8) Dinosaur Number Cards (0-35) in color and B/W
9) Alphabet Train Dinosaur Matching Upper and Lowercase Letters
10) Rhyming Dinosaur Eggs
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Don’t forget to visit the other co-hosts to see what they are sharing for this week’s theme.