Tinker loves to pretend to be a cat. And although she does a fantastic job with no props, I thought it would be fun to make her a mask to wear for pretend play. This easy no sew cat mask took about ten minutes to put together, and we’re already finding a lot of great uses for it.
- Plain party masks-Ours came in a pack from Walmart. They are cardboard.
- Felt in two colors of your choice
- 2 chenille stems trimmed into thirds
- Hot glue gun
Assembling the Cat Mask
- Cut a basic cat face out of one color of felt. I basically drew an oval that was just a bit larger than the mask and added triangles to the top corners.
- Lay the cardboard mask on top of the felt and trace ovals in the appropriate spots for eyes. Cut those out and test to make sure your child can see. If not, adjust accordingly.
- Cut triangles for the ears and nose.
- Hot glue the chenille stems to the front of the cardboard mask. Placing them on the front of the mask will keep them from poking kids and hide them once the felt is glued on.
- Hot glue the cat face to the front of cardboard mask on top of the chenille stems.
- Hot glue the ears and nose to the cat face.
- Wear and let the silliness begin!
What Are We Using Our Cat Mask For?
There are a ton of opportunities for play and silliness with these little masks. Here are a few ideas:
- Use them for pretend play
- Act out favorite rhymes or songs that involve cats
- Add a couple accessories to make an easy DIY costume
- Act out a story (one you’ve read or one you make up together)
This post has been shared at some of these fantastic link parties.