The theme this week for Discover & Explore is Sea Life. We made a recycled egg carton coral reef play set. Read below for the simple how-to. Then we’d love for you to share your favorite activities, crafts, tips, and resources about ocean creatures at the end of this post.
My oldest is fascinated by ocean animals. She has been since she was an infant. This summer she’s sure that we need to have a pet orca, and she’s eagerly awaiting Big Buddy’s return from vacation…he’s bringing her a sea turtle after all. 😉
Since I can’t quite make that a reality for her, I thought this recycled egg carton craft would be a fun way to do some crafting and encourage pretend play.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
I originally saw the idea for egg carton sea creatures in Parents Magazine. I started by cutting apart a couple egg cartons. I tried my best to cut a few pieces and tape them together to look like fish. They work for our purposes, but I’m sure some of you could come up with some very crafty looking sea creatures. Either way both of the girls loved finding this invitation to create waiting for them one morning.
The type of paint you need will depend on the type of egg cartons you have. Washable tempera paint worked well for the cardboard cartons, but we had to use acrylics for the styrofoam cartons. Lovey enjoyed painting the smaller pieces, and Tinker spent her time painting the bottom of the larger carton (pictured below) to make the base of our coral reef.
Once the pieces were dry we added googly eyes, chenille stems, and some basic facial features. The girls could barely wait to get started playing, and they’ve gotten a lot of use out of this play set already.
Tinker loves the little yellow fish best.
I think the crab is my favorite part of the set!
The widget below includes some of our favorite sea life toys and books.
Now it’s your turn. We’d love for you to share how you
Discover & Explore: Sea Life
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, book activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, free printables–anything that might be helpful to those wanting to put together activities based on this week’s theme
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you are linking up, please be sure to grab and post the Discover and Explore button. We love to share! And we want as many people to add their posts as possible, so we have a wonderful collection to share with you.
The linky will remain open for two weeks. Then both co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post and share featured posts on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. If you aren’t already, please remember to follow us so you’re sure not to miss those feature posts. And don’t forget to stop by KC Edventures to see what Jacquie is sharing for this week’s theme.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/category/discover-and-explore" title="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Discover125x125.png" alt="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Upcoming Discover and Explore Themes
- July 24-Space Exploration (Rockets, Shuttles, Sattelites, etc)
- July 31-Boats, Water Fun & Things that Float
- August 7-Camping
This post has been shared at some of these fantastic link parties.