For Discover & Explore this week we’re sharing Thanksgiving activity ideas. I’d love to hear more about how you celebrate and teach kids about Thanksgiving. We started the month off by introducing our monthly play dough invitation to play…turkeys! This is an activity option we’ll have out throughout the month.
GET A FULL WEEK OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
Materials for Turkey Play Dough
Lovey was the first to play with this set of materials. Sometimes I introduce materials to the girls separately. This gives Tinker a chance to create in her own way without always following big sister’s lead.
When I gathered the materials together I didn’t include anything to represent the wattle, and I wondered if the girls would notice. Wouldn’t you know that the first thing Lovey added after the facial features was a wattle?
Then she spent quite a while placing the feathers just so.
Isn’t her little turkey so festive? She’s made a few different variations since then.
Tinker took a different approach in making her turkey. She pressed the dough out so the turkey was flat.
Then she added all of the different elements until she was happy with her own creation.
I am excited to see how their use of these materials changes over the course of the month. Have your kids made play dough turkeys before? What other materials would you include in this invitation to play?
To continue the Thanksgiving inspired play dough fun, check out our pumpkin pie play dough invitation.
More Thanksgiving Fun on Fantastic Fun and Learning
GET A FULL SET OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES
The 159-page Thanksgiving Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Pumpkin Pie Letter Matching (in color and b/w)
2) Rhyming Turkey Game
3) Turkey Color Sorting Mats (in color and b/w)
4) Turkey Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
5) Look at the Turkey Emergent Reader (3 variations)
6) How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Sequencing Cards (in color and b/w)
7) 0-35 Turkey Number Cards (4 variations)
8) Phoneme Segmentation Turkey Activity
9) Thanksgiving Taste Test Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
10) Thanksgiving Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Thanksgiving Roll and Graph (2 variations, in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.