We’ve been learning about penguins lately, and it reminded me of these cream cheese penguins from Allrecipes.com. We made them a few years back and they were so cute. Since both of my girls looooove black olives, I decided we’d make our own penguin snack one afternoon during our penguin theme. They turned out so cute and really tasty!
GET A FULL WEEK OF PENGUIN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRESCHOOL PENGUIN LESSON PLANS
I wanted to add a cracker of some sort to this snack, so they would be a little easier to handle. Using the cracker as a base also made it easier for Lovey and Tinker to help me make these little penguins.
Ingredients for Penguin Snack
- Oval crackers-We used Town House Flip Sides Pretzel Crackers
- Cream cheese
- Sliced black olives
- Large whole black olives
The girls started spreading cream cheese on the pretzel crackers. As they did so, I cut the large olives into quarters to make wings. I also cut some carrot slices into a few small triangles for the beaks and feet.
Then we worked together to make the penguins. The picture above is of my penguins. The girls’ were a little more creative with their penguin designs, but they all tasted great! I really liked the taste of the pretzel mixed in with the cream cheese, and after playing a little bit the girls gobbled theirs up too.
If your little ones don’t like cream cheese, you could also use mozzarella slices. The pieces just won’t stick together as well.
In all this took about five minutes to prepare. Not bad for an easy way to add a little fun to snack time!
Don’t forget to grab some penguin books to read as you snack. Our penguin book list includes ficton and nonfiction book suggestions, plus a free printable with the book list and a writing activity sheet.
PRINTABLE PENGUIN THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. We have a variety of lesson plan sets that work well as winter themes. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
- Fish Pattern Cards (in color and b/w)
- Iceberg Shape Mats and Iceberg Penguin Shape Matching Game (in color and b/w)
- If We Were Penguins Class Book Covers and Page Templates
- Penguin Color Matching Mats and Color Fish to Sort (in color and b/w)
- Uppercase Adult Penguin and Lowercase Chick Letter Matching Set (in color and b/w)
- Iceberg Penguin Name Hop Activity with Editable Penguin Name Plates (in color and b/w)
- Build an Iceberg Counting Activity Number Cube (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Ten-Frames Pre-Filled with 1-10 (in color and b/w)
- Blank 10 and 20 Frames (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Numbers 1-20 (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Vocabulary Cards (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Science Journal (in color and b/w)
- Real Penguin Photos
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.