Crafts can be a fun way to sit down and connect after school. Tinker regularly asks to do a “project” when we get home. This paper roll Thanksgiving turkey craft is one of the creations we made as we sat and chatted about her day at school. This craft would also be good for a school activity for older students or a small group project with a teacher’s help in preschool.
GET A FULL WEEK OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
- Two strips of brown construction paper (approximately 1.5 inches by 6 inches and 2 inches by 8 inches)
- Strips of red, orange and yellow paper for feathers (approximately 5 inches long)
- Googly eyes
- Orange paper for beak and feet
- Red triangle for the wattle
We started by trimming a simple fringe in the feathers. This is an easy way to incorporate fine motor skills. As kids are talking and working to create the feathers they don’t even realize how much practice those little finger muscles are getting.
Once all the feathers were cut we incorporated a bit of math by making them into a few different patterns. When Tinker decided on the pattern she wanted to use we stapled the feathers in a fan shape.
Then we stapled the larger brown paper strip into a roll and attached the feet with glue. Tinker add the facial features to the smaller brown paper strip and stapled it into a roll.
Then we worked together to staple the head and feathers to the body. Tinker had fun flying her turkey around the house after we were done creating.
The feathers are a bit heavy. If you want the turkey to stand on its own, simply tape an extra strip of paper to the bottom on the back of the turkey. We called ours the tail feather and we bent it so that it would help the turkey keep its balance.
More Thanksgiving Fun
Find all of our Thanksgiving activities on our Thanksgiving page.
GET A FULL SET OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES
The 159-page Thanksgiving Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Pumpkin Pie Letter Matching (in color and b/w)
2) Rhyming Turkey Game
3) Turkey Color Sorting Mats (in color and b/w)
4) Turkey Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
5) Look at the Turkey Emergent Reader (3 variations)
6) How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Sequencing Cards (in color and b/w)
7) 0-35 Turkey Number Cards (4 variations)
8) Phoneme Segmentation Turkey Activity
9) Thanksgiving Taste Test Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
10) Thanksgiving Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Thanksgiving Roll and Graph (2 variations, in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.