When planning math activities to do with preschoolers I like to make them as hands-on as possible, and I like to be able to use one printable in a variety of ways. This free printable Read and Write Numbers 1 to 20 math game set is perfect for that. Not only is it an excellent way to help preschoolers and kindergarteners practice number recognition and writing numbers, but there are quite a few ways to use it. This saves prep time and still gives kids’ multiple opportunities to practice these key math skills.
Read and Write Numbers 1 to 20 Math Game
This set of 1-20 number cards and recording sheets can be used in a variety of ways in preschool and kindergarten to practice number recognition and writing numbers.
Quick Tip: Print on colored paper or card stock to make cards easier to find.
Ways to Play with the Numbers 1 to 20 Math Game Set
Some great ways to play with this activity are:
- Surprise Bags: Use a gift bag or a small drawstring bag. Place the number cards inside. Have kids draw a number out of the bag and then mark it on the recording sheet.
- Sensory Bins: Add the number cards to a sensory bin of your choice. Have kids remove a card and then mark the number on their recording sheet.
- Get Moving: If you’d like to get kids up and moving, try using these as a color, trace or write the room type activity. Place the number cards throughout the room. When kids spot a number around the room dot, color, or trace the number on the recording sheet.
Choose whether kids will use the 1-10 and 11-20 recording sheets and cards. You can use both sets in the same class by using different colors for the cards. Kids can find only cards of the color that they are focusing on.
You can also differentiate by fine motor skill for those kids who are able to recognize numbers but still working on the fine motor control for writing.
- Dot it—When kids spot a number use dot markers to spot the number on the recording sheet. This will be the easiest for kids still working on the fine motor control needed to do the writing.
- Color it-Kids who are ready to do some writing/drawing can color the boxes on the recording sheet as they find the number around the room.
- Trace it-Kids who are beginning to write numbers can trace the numbers on the gray version of the recording sheet.
EXTENSION ACTIVITY IDEAS
If you are doing this at home, with a small group, or as a center activity and you don’t mind letting kids collect the cards they find, then you can add in even more fun and learning by letting kids gather the cards as they find them so they can use them for these additional activities:
- Place the number cards in number order
- Count out the corresponding number of math manipulatives to go with each number card
QUICK TIP: If there are multiple groups that will be doing the activity, have the first group hide the numbers around the room for the next group to find.
This will save YOU time, and kids LOVE hiding them for friends…just be sure to set some general guidelines on exactly how “tricky” they can be with their hiding spots. 😉
Get the Free Printable Numbers 1 to 20 Math Game Set
Inside this free printable set you’ll find:
- Complete directions with ideas for ways to play, tips for differentiation, and extension activity ideas
- I Know Numbers 1-10 Game Boards (with numbers in solid black for coloring in the box and gray for tracing practice)
- I Know Numbers 11-20 Game Boards (with numbers in solid black for coloring in the box and gray for tracing practice)
- Number cards for 1-20
Number Sense Full Year Math Activity Bundle
Easily differentiate math small group instruction and center activities with this 12-pack bundle of seasonal number sense activities. Quick prep, fun activities to help preschoolers and kindergarteners learn important number sense skills.
Each 69-page set in this full 828-page bundle is designed to be very interactive, giving kids many opportunities to use manipulatives.
You can introduce the ideas during circle time and then use the math games during small group and center time.
There are even differentiated take home packs for families to do the activities at home.
Inside each set there are:
- Tips and Ideas for Use
- 0-10 Number Cards Sets in Color and Black and White
- 16 Activity Cards with Hands-on Number Sense Activity Directions
- 9 Small Group and Center Number Sense Activity Mats
- 14 Number Sense Recording Sheets
- 4 Differentiated Take Home Packs of Number Sense Activities
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.