There are so many fun Halloween themed activities to do with preschoolers. Of course we do a ton of sensory play activities, art projects, and pretend play, but I also like to channel some of that Halloween enthusiasm to other learning goals as well. This free printable Halloween Candy Beginning Sound Sort Matching Game is an excellent way to help preschoolers and kindergarteners practice letter recognition and beginning sounds.
GET A FULL WEEK OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS
Halloween Candy Beginning Sound Sort for Preschool and Kindergarten
Children are typically ready for this activity when they:
- can identify most letters of the alphabet
- understand that letters represent sounds we hear in words
- are beginning to be able to isolate the initial sound in a given word
This Halloween Candy Beginning Sound Sort Matching Game works as a great:
• Literacy center option
• Small group activity
• Take home game
• Option for fast finishers
Simplify the activity by including fewer letter bags and corresponding pieces.
Focus first on letters that students are already familiar with. Then slowly add in new letters.
If desired, make the game self-checking by adding corresponding dots or stickers to the back of the matching sets so children can check their work.
If you have small toys or letter manipulatives on hand, allow kids to add in additional items to the letter “bags”.
If you prefer to save on ink or use a different size, try printing the set with two pages per sheet.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE HALLOWEEN CANDY BEGINNING SOUND SORT
This 38-page free printable includes:
- 26 individual letter bag pages
- 3 beginning sound “candies” for each letter of the alphabet
Click the pink button below to request your freebie.
GET A FULL SET OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES
Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
The 132-page Halloween Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) -at Word Family Bat Game (in color and b/w)
2) Candy Corn Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
3) Candy Corn Uppercase, Lowercase, and Beginning Sound Picture Puzzles for Letters C, A, N, D, Y, H, O and R (in color and b/w)
4) Candy Corn Counting Cards 1-10 (in color and b/w)
5) Halloween Costume Syllable Sorting Activity (in color and b/w)
6) Haunted House Colors Board Game-3 variations to work on color recognition or color word recognition (in color and b/w)
7) “Look at the Costumes” Emergent Reader-3 variations
8) 0-35 Halloween Number Cards (in color and b/w)
9) Halloween Roll and Graph Math Game (in color and b/w)
10) Halloween Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Build a Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Mats and Shape Pieces
12) My Jack-o-Lantern Recording Sheets-2 variations, one to focus on shape recognition and one to focus on writing
13) Spider Number Mats and Ways to Show Numbers 0-10
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.