Recipe 11 of the Christmas Cookies Around the World Holiday Project for Kids: Galletas Mexican Cookie Recipe
There are so many great ways to teach your children about the holiday season, and one of our favorites is by making Christmas cookies from around the world. Christmas Cookies Around the World is a great way to learn about different Christmas traditions. It can also be a fun acts of kindness activity.
GET ALL 12 COOKIE RECIPES AND LEARNING ACTIVITIES WITH THE FULL CHRISTMAS COOKIES AROUND THE WORLD HOLIDAY PROJECT.
The full Christmas Cookies Around the World product includes printable gift tags and note cards that can be attached to gift bags and shared with others. This is also a wonderful opportunity to incorporate an authentic writing experience into holiday activities. This activity is an age-appropriate way to emphasize togetherness while also learning about the traditions and popular recipes from other places around the world
The Christmas Cookies Around the World series will help you gently introduce preschool and early elementary-aged children to:
- World geography
- Holiday traditions
- Popular cookies from various cultures and parts of the world
- Baking skills
- Math and measurement
Galletas Mexican Cookie
Galletas are also referred to as Mexican butter cookies. The Spanish word “galleta” means “cookie.”
Fun Facts About Mexico’s Christmas Traditions:
- The Mexican celebration of Christmas is called las posadas
- There are candle-lit processions, elaborate nativity scenes, Spanish Christmas carols, dancing and fireworks. While traditions like Christmas trees and Santa Claus have found a place in Mexican festivities, the holiday celebrations are firmly rooted in Spanish and indigenous culture.
- Christmas Day is a time for church and family. After church services, Christmas dinner begins with oxtail soup with beans and hot chili, followed by roasted turkey and a special salad of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Christmas in Mexico begins on December 16.
- In Mexico most people speak Spanish (Español), so Happy/Merry Christmas is ‘Feliz Navidad’.
Videos About Christmas in Mexico
This short video will run through many of the Mexican traditions associated with las posadas.
Learn all about what it’s like to celebrate Christmas in Mexico.
Websites About Mexican Christmas Traditions
Find out how Christmas is celebrated in Mexico with this helpful website.
Learn all about what it’s like to celebrate Christmas in Mexico with this helpful link.
Learn about all the traditions associated with Mexican Christmas in this post.
Books About Christmas in Mexico
‘Twas Nochebuena by Roseanne Greenfield Thong
Follow a family as they host a Nochebuena celebration!
The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola
This Mexican legend tells about how the poinsettia came to be and how it was a gift to the Christ child.
The Night of Las Posadas by Tomie dePaola
This book tells the story of a tradition in which Mary and Joseph go from door to door seeking shelter at the inn, and the birth of a Christian miracle.
A Piñata in a Pine Tree by Pat Mora
With things to find and count on every page, the pictures and pronunciations make it easy to learn all about the fun pinata tradition of Mexico.
Christmas in Mexico by Cheryl L. Enderlein
This book explores the many timeless traditions that bring people of Mexico together on Christmas.
Going Home by Eve Bunting
This joyous tale tells the story of a Mexican American family as they visit Mexico during Christmastime.
Pablo’s Christmas by Hugo C. Martin
This story tells the tale of a young boy named Pablo and how he hopes that his father will return home in time for Christmas from America.
Additional Resources for Teaching Children About Country
Learn a bunch of fun and interesting facts about Mexico!
Watch as kids try out different foods from Mexico.
Discover fascinating facts about Mexico with this helpful country guide.
Take a virtual trip to Mexico and learn all about the country.
Learn all about the interesting and unique parts of Mexico.
Living in . . . Mexico by Chloe Perkins
Discover what it’s like to grow up in Mexico with the help of this book.
Off We Go to Mexico! by Laurie Krebs
Learn Spanish words and phrases while also learning about the unique country and culture of Mexico.
A Kid’s Guide to Mexico by Jack L. Roberts
This book takes kids on an exciting and colorful adventure across the country to Mexico.
Next Stop: Mexico by Ginger McDonnell
Learn all about the history, culture, and geography of Mexico in the pages of this book.
Galletas Mexican Cookie Recipe
Galletas Mexican Cookie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Using mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla together.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Shape into small 1-inch balls. Using your thumb poke your thumb into the center of each and make a hole in each ball to make a ring.
- Dip each ring in the nonpareils.
- Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 10-12 min or until lightly browned.
Get Your FREE Christmas Cookies Around the World Taste Test Recording Sheet
Use the taste test recording sheet to have kids record information about the cookie(s) they tasted and rate how well they liked the cookies. Individual pages can be compiled into a taste test booklet for all the cookies you try in the series, or you can choose to have kids record only their favorite cookie if you prefer.
Save paper by printing two or four to a page if preferred.
Get the entire 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Around the World project
For those interested in expanding the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Around the World project into a class or family project we’ve created a 50+ page activity guide to make it super easy for you.
Inside you’ll find:
- Quick Reference List of Cookies and Countries
- Generic Cookie Taste Test Recording Sheet
- Cookie Taste Test Recording Table
- Class Graphing Header and Voting Cards
- Christmas Cookies Around the World Passport (three versions)
- Taste Test Journal
- Cookie Recipe Cookbook
- Editable Cookie Recipe Page to add in additional family and multi-cultural options
- Gift Tags
- My Family’s Favorite Cookie Recipe (two versions)
- Editable Parent Letter (two versions)
- Ingredient List by Cookie
The project is designed for use in the classroom, at home, or in community programs. Suggestions and modifications for each setting are included in the resource.
Get your Christmas Cookies Around the World Project
This project is also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.