The girls had so much fun with our falling apples addition activity that I wanted to build on that enthusiasm with another fall inspired math activity. This is a quick and fun way to practice counting or beginning addition.
Falling Leaves Math
FIND ALL OF OUR LEAF THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
All you need are some fall leaves–real or from the store depending on what is available to you–and a container. Place leaves in the container. We used 10 leaves so we could practice counting and number combinations for 10, but you can modify your number depending on the learning goal you have.
Playing is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Gently toss the leaves into the air.
- Try to catch them.
- Count how many you caught (or how many fell to the ground, whatever your preference).
While playing with Tinker (age 4) we counted how many leaves she could catch in the container. She had so much fun trying to catch them all!
While playing with Lovey (age 6) we counted both the amount on the floor and the amount caught in the container. Then she identified the number combination. For example, if 4 leaves fell and she caught 6, she’d say 4 and 6 is 10 or 4+6=10.
Fall Counting Books
Continue counting with these fall counting books.
PRINTABLE LEAF THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Roll and Say Fall ABC Game (uppercase and lowercase versions)
2) Roll and Count Leaves Math Game
3) Small Leaf Cards for Sorting and Patterning
4) Sight Word Trees Activity Mats, Letter Cards, and Sight Word Cards
5) Color Word Leaf Cards
6) Leaf Number Cards (0-35)
7) Sorting Leaves Color Mats and Leaf Cards
8) Fall Leaves Emergent Reader (3 versions)
9) Leaf Observation Recording Sheet
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.