We are only a few weeks away from summer! We’re already daydreaming about days at the beach. Whether you’re heading to the beach soon, teaching an ocean theme, or learning about starfish together this is an easy starfish craft that is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
Get a full week of ocean theme lesson plans for
Home Preschool or your Preschool Classroom.
Affiliate links included.
- Tempera paint-We chose orange and yellow
- Potato masher-Grab one from Dollar Tree or your kitchen stash
- Blue paper (optional)
- Glue (optional)
- Nonfiction book about starfish-We read Star of the Sea
Before doing this activity we took some time to read about starfish (sea stars).
We also watched a couple of videos on YouTube to learn more.The Octonauts Creature Report about Sea Stars is a quick overview for young learners. This Starfish Facts video is informative, but you may have to pause and discuss with younger learners to make sure they understand the information being shared. Even toddlers like to see the images in this video though.
Make Your Starfish Craft
After reading and learning about starfish set up your paint, card stock, and potato masher.
Invite kids to dip the potato masher in the paint and stamp it onto the card stock.
Stamp and stamp to fill the paper and watch the designs the potato masher makes. Kids have a lot of fun with this!
We didn’t bother cleaning off the potato masher, because it’s really neat to see the colors swirl together.
After the paint dries, cut out a simple star shape. Mount the finished star to a piece of blue paper. Or combine it with other ocean animal creations like our fork-painted fish craft and our marble painted fish and create a sea life mural.
Get a Full Week of Ocean Theme Learning and Play
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Shark Dice Game (color and black/white)
2) Whale Dice Game (color and black/white)
3) Starfish Sorting and Patterning Cards
4) Ocean Letter Matching Puzzles
5) Ocean Life Number Cards 0 to 35
6) Ocean Family Counting Sets for Numbers 1-10
7) Sea Life Cards (for counting, patterning, and sorting)
8) Ocean Roll and Graph Game
9) Sea Life Word Building Cards
10) Sea Life Syllable Sort Activity