There are so many fun color recognition activities to do with preschoolers. There are plenty of ways to make learning colors fun. You can use sensory play activities, art projects, and even pretend play to help your little ones easily recognize colors around them. This free printable Color Matching Mats activity is an excellent way to help preschoolers and kindergarteners practice color and color word recognition.
Color Matching Mats Puzzles
There are a variety of ways to use these color matching mats.
- Simply print and post as color recognition posters.
- Print and cut apart each page to create color matching puzzles.
- Print, cut apart and use with the sorting mat to create more of a guided matching puzzle set.
They are also designed so that it is easy to remove a component in order to differentiate.
Some great ways to play with this activity are:
- For kids who are just beginning to learn colors, you might choose to use the color shade section and the four photographs only.
- As kids are ready to work on color words you might add in the piece with the color word written in the corresponding color.
- Later add in the black text version for added practice in color word recognition without the visual cue.
Modify your printer settings to change the size of the puzzles (as shown above) if preferred.
You may use the pieces freely and have kids match them up as they see fit. Alternatively, you may choose to print the blank mat at the end of the set and have kids layer the pieces on top of the mat to help them organize the information.
Additional activities to extend learning:
- Have children place the color cards in rainbow order
- Kids can copy the words onto paper to help practice writing color words and working on their fine motor skills.
- Have kids find items around the classroom that correspond with each color.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE COLOR MATCHING MATS
Click the pink button below to get your free printable!
3-in-1 Color Recognition Digital Google Slides Games Bundle
Help kids practice color recognition with interactive digital games. Choose from three different sets available in Google Slides and Seesaw formats as well as a PDF printable option.
This 3-in-1 bundle includes three interactive, self-checking games to help children practice color recognition.
They can be used for:
- distance learning
- tablet or computer center options in the classroom
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.