Use this winter preschool circle time song to help preschoolers learn winter theme vocabulary. Try the free rescource or get the full song pack for even more fun and learning.
When introducing new vocabulary kids will retain more if they have first-hand experience with the concepts. Unfortunately not everyone can head out in the snow to play during the winter. However, we can help kids learn winter vocabulary by acting out different winter activities.
The next song in our preschool circle time song series is all about favorite winter activities. Throughout the series I’m introducing 24 engaging songs that are just right for toddlers and preschoolers. Each song is adapted from a popular tune so kids can easily join in and sing along.
For each song you may choose to grab the free printable version that includes the song text and song pieces, or you may purchase the full song pack which includes additional supporting activities to extend the fun and learning.
GET THE FULL WINTER SONG ACTIVITY PACK
This is the Way Winter Preschool Circle Time Song
The song text is provided in two formats, a single page version with picture prompts and blank lines for the repeated text in the song and a the full text version with colored clip art picture prompts.
You can use the song and picture prompts as they are listed on the song charts, or you can have kids brainstorm their own winter actions to include in the song and make up your own verses.
The free printable also includes 12 color picture prompt cards to go with each verse in the full song.
Use the song pieces:
- In a pocket chart
- For class helpers to hold up throughout the song
- On a magnetic board with magnets attached to the back
Try these additional activities to extend the learning with this song:
- Brainstorm additional verses to add to the song.
- Create a tally chart or class survey for one of the picture prompts. Have kids mark or write their name under yes or no if they have done the activity before.
- Use the picture prompts as conversation starters during circle time…
- Discuss the sequence of events for relevant cards
- Discuss who has done the activity before
- Discuss who would like to try the activity
- Place the picture prompts on a ring in the writing center for kids to use as prompts for drawing and writing inspiration
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE WINTER CIRCLE TIME SONG
This 9-page free printable includes:
- 2 versions of the song, a single page version with picture prompts and blank lines for the repeated text in the song and a the full text version with colored clip art picture prompts
- 12 color picture prompt cards to go with each verse in the full song
Kids will have a great time acting out movements to go with these popular winter activities. Complete the form below to get your freebie.
EXTEND THE FUN AND LEARNING WITH THE FULL SONG PACK
Build on the fun and learning introduced in the song lyrics by:
- Adding in a class book that can help reinforce early literacy skills as kids sing along
- Providing individual emergent readers so kids can sing the song over and over again and follow along with their own song book in the library center or at home
This 104-page set includes:
- Circle Time Song Charts and Pieces (in color and black and white)
- Full-Page Class Book Options: The full-page class book options can be printed and compiled to use as a read aloud for kids to sing along during circle time. It can also be added to the library center for kids to read again and again once they are familiar with the song.
- Half-Page Emergent Reader Options: The half-page emergent reader options are designed for quick-prep, easy collating. Choose from three different emergent reader options to find the one that matches your preference.