These engaging Winter Mitten Fine Motor Mats are a great way to help your kids strengthen their fine motor muscles as they start to copy and create patterns. Use these free printable fine motor mats as a stand-alone Winter activity during the holiday season, or add them to a full preschool Winter theme.
WINTER MITTEN FINE MOTOR MATS FREEBIE
These easy no prep pattern play dough mats are perfect for early learning skills and a fun winter activity for your classroom.
You can laminate them or add them to dry-erase pockets to continue using them over and over.
Grab your favorite homemade or store-bought play dough, and encourage your kids to roll out the play dough into long snakes to cover the lines on these mitten mats.
They can mimic the patterns on the mittens or create their own! Whatever they choose, they are getting great fine motor practice.
If you don’t have play dough or don’t want to use play dough, you can also trace them using dry-erase markers as well! Invite your kids to trace the lines using various colors of markers and trace the lines to reflect the mittens’ patterns.
Additional activities to extend learning:
- Have your kids find items around your classroom that match the patterns on their mittens.
- Have children attempt to make their own patterns from what they learned from this activity. You can use buttons, mini erasers, or other seasonal loose parts.
Complete the form below to get your free Winter Mitten Fine Motor Mats!
PRINTABLE WINTER THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. We have a variety of lesson plan sets that work well as winter themes. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set: https://www.youtube.com/embed/fKTn2n61IAc
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) 10 Little Trees Winter Song and Number Cards (in color and b/w)
2) Get Dressed for Winter Activity Mats and Clothing (in color and b/w)
3) Hot Cocoa Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
4) Winter Color Matching Puzzles
5) What Can We Do in Winter? Emergent Reader (4 versions)
6) Child and Snow Angel Uppercase and Lowercase Alphabet Matching (in color and b/w)
7) Winter Number Cards 0-35 (3 versions in color and b/w)
8) Winter Roll and Graph (in color and b/w)
9) Winter Tree Dice Game (in color and b/w)
10) Winter Picture-Word Cards
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.