Last week in our first post for the V is for Vegetables series I shared our vegetable stand pretend play. We were able to use our fresh produce in so many ways throughout the week. This math game helped us practice counting, comparing, sorting, vocabulary and language skills.
FIND ALL OF OUR VEGETABLE ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
- Variety of Produce
- Bag or container to use as shopping bag
- Number cards
Shopping: To begin each kid chose a number card. Then they went shopping and selected the appropriate number of vegetables to match the number on the card.
Counting: After returning to the picnic mat the kids shared the vegetables they chose. They named each vegetable, counted how many in all and told which vegetable they liked the best and why.
Comparing: Next we aligned the vegetables to practice one-to-one correspondence and compare the numbers. Aligning the vegetables helps the kids visually see which number has more vegetables. We discussed the following vocabulary terms: more, less, greater and fewer.
Sorting: Then we combined everyone’s vegetables and sorted them. The kids chose to sort them by kind. Depending on the combinations of vegetables you could also choose other characteristics for sorting like: shape, color, or whether they grow above or below ground. The final step in our game was restocking the vegetable stand shelves so the shoppers could play again later.
Next week we’ll share one of the ways we used vegetables to make art.
GET A FULL WEEK OF VEGETABLE THEME LEARNING AND PLAY
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Vegetable Emergent Reader (2 versions)
2) Syllable Sorting Activity
3) Vegetable Photos (color and B/W)
4) Vegetable Letter Puzzles (color and B/W)
5) Vegetable Stand Pretend Play Signs
6) Vegetable Number Cards (Color and B/W)
7) Shopping for Vegetables Counting Game
8) Vegetable Cards with and without labels (color and B/W)
9) Vegetable Sink or Float Predictions and Results Recording Sheets (color and B/W)
10) Vegetable Taste Test Recording Sheets (color and B/W)
11) Design a Vegetable Garden Planning Sheet (2 versions)
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
All of our products are also available on Teachers Pay Teachers if you prefer to shop there.