We have been having so much fun learning about penguins during our penguin theme activities. Last week I shared the tutorial for this recycled penguin craft and a few ideas for using it for play and learning. We also used this little guy for some toddler and preschool math games.
GET A FULL WEEK OF PENGUIN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRESCHOOL PENGUIN LESSON PLANS
Materials for Penguin Math Game
- Penguin container-Use the tutorial or another container that you have available
- Number cube-Use one with dots or numbers depending on your skill focus
- Goldfish crackers
Younger toddlers will be very happy feeding the penguin. This is great fine motor practice. And they also experiment with cause and effect as the drop the fish in the penguin “mouth” and listen for the sound of it hitting the bottom of the container.
With older toddlers you can add counting by simply counting the fish as they add them in.
Or if they are ready, you can have toddlers roll the number cube and feed that many fish to the penguin. Tinker loved this game and played it over and over again throughout our penguin theme.
Lovey is practicing combining sets, so this was a great activity for giving her a little practice with that skill in a hands-on way. To do so she would roll the number cube and feed that amount of fish to the penguin. Then she would repeat the process again, so the penguin had two “sets” of food.
Then Lovey would take the top off and empty the container. She reminded me that this was like when the mother penguins bring back food from the ocean to feed their babies. (Great connection!)
Next she would count the total amount of fish and identify the sum of the two addends. (Yes, it is good to begin using this vocabulary, as kids will be exposed to it in late preschool and kindergarten in most areas.) You could also extend this game by having kids record the addition sentence, but for now we are focusing just on the physical act of identifying and combining the sets.
PRINTABLE PENGUIN THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. We have a variety of lesson plan sets that work well as winter themes. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set currently includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
- Fish Pattern Cards (in color and b/w)
- Iceberg Shape Mats and Iceberg Penguin Shape Matching Game (in color and b/w)
- If We Were Penguins Class Book Covers and Page Templates
- Penguin Color Matching Mats and Color Fish to Sort (in color and b/w)
- Uppercase Adult Penguin and Lowercase Chick Letter Matching Set (in color and b/w)
- Iceberg Penguin Name Hop Activity with Editable Penguin Name Plates (in color and b/w)
- Build an Iceberg Counting Activity Number Cube (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Ten-Frames Pre-Filled with 1-10 (in color and b/w)
- Blank 10 and 20 Frames (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Numbers 1-20 (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Vocabulary Cards (in color and b/w)
- Penguin Science Journal (in color and b/w)
- Real Penguin Photos
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.