Alphabet recognition is an important skill that we spend a lot of time teaching throughout the preschool and kindergarten years. Thankfully there are a lot of playful ways to teach the alphabet and practice letter recognition. This free printable letter naming fluency alphabet printable game is a quick and easy no prep way for kids to practice letter naming fluency (the quick recall of letters). As students are able to name the letters fluently you can also have them use the same printable to practice naming the letter sounds associated with the letters in the printable.
We’ve even created a number fluency version because this set has been so popular!
LOOKING FOR MORE ALPHABET FUN? GET A FULL SET OF ALPHABET SORTING MATS HERE.
Why practice letter naming fluency and letter sound fluency?
A strong foundation in letter recognition and letter naming fluency as well as letter sound fluency has been linked later reading and spelling fluency.
Additional reading on this topic:
Letter Naming Fluency Alphabet Printable
WAYS TO PLAY
Let your kids roll a number cube of your choice. Then have them locate the row that corresponds on the game board.
Have them read the row that corresponds with the number on the dice.
You can decide whether you want to have your children focus on naming the letter or naming the sound. You can switch it up based on the current skill you’d like your kids to focus on.
EXTENDED LEARNING ACTIVITIES
You can easily let your kids play the game longer if you want them to get more fluency practice. Here are a few ways to play!
- Use a sand timer and have kids play until the timer runs out.
- Use counters to track how many times a child finishes a specific row. Place the counters out in rows next to the completed row. Challenge kids to play until there are three counters beside each row.
Get Your FREE Letter Naming Fluency Alphabet Printable
This free letter naming fluency printable includes:
- Uppercase letters game board
- Lowercase letters game board
- Mixed uppercase and lowercase letters game board
Complete the form below to get your free printable!
NEED AN EDITABLE VERSION?
Teachers are loving this so much that we’ve expanded on this free printable set!
This 54-page expanded set includes:
- 60 fluency strips in uppercase, lowercase and mixed case formats
- 7 pre-filled letter fluency games (like the free printable version)
- Editable versions of the fluency strips and games
PRINTABLE ALPHABET SORTING MATS
This magnetic letter sorting set will give kids the opportunity to:
- Recognize distinguishing features of letters
- Sort by letter
- Work on name recognition
- Work with sight words
- Work on color recognition
This 311-page set includes:
- Large sorting sheets
- Small sorting sheets
- Sorting cards
- Printable letters
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.