If you have a little budding artist on your hands like me, you’re probably always looking for new art projects to try. We read a lot about famous artists and creating art, and we like to try a lot of new art projects inspired by some of our favorite artists. For our Thanksgiving activities we decided to create a Kandinsky Inspired Turkey Handprint Art Project. It turned out great and makes an amazing Thanksgiving keepsake!
GET A FULL WEEK OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
Get to Know Kandinksy Art
Create Your Own Kandinsky Inspired Turkey Handprint Art Project
For this project you’ll need:
- two sheets of large paper (approximately 11 x 18 inches)
- one for turkey handprints and another for the finished art project)
- washable tempera paint
- fine point markers
Start by creating four brown handprints. These will be your turkey bodies.
While those dry divide the other sheet of paper into four rectangles and paint each rectangle a diferent color.
Once the handprints are dry trace along the back of the handprint so kids cn easily cut them out. Keep all four turkey handprints.
Glue the handprints to the center of each painted rectangle.
Get decorating! Use the fine point markers to add faces and feet to each hand turkey. Then use a paintbrush to go back and add some additional feathers in between the fingers on each turkey handprint.
Finish by writing something the child is thankful for in the middle of each handprint turkey.
These turn out adorable and make a wonderful keepsake to hang at Thanksgiving time for years to come!
After you wrap up your Kandinsky inspired turkey handprint art projects explore more famous artists and their art work over in this comprehensive guide to art history for preschoolers.
RELATED ARTICLE: 25+ Turkey Art Projects for Kids
GET A FULL SET OF THANKSGIVING THEME ACTIVITIES
The 159-page Thanksgiving Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) Pumpkin Pie Letter Matching (in color and b/w)
2) Rhyming Turkey Game
3) Turkey Color Sorting Mats (in color and b/w)
4) Turkey Counting Mats 1-20 (in color and b/w)
5) Look at the Turkey Emergent Reader (3 variations)
6) How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Sequencing Cards (in color and b/w)
7) 0-35 Turkey Number Cards (4 variations)
8) Phoneme Segmentation Turkey Activity
9) Thanksgiving Taste Test Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
10) Thanksgiving Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Thanksgiving Roll and Graph (2 variations, in color and b/w)
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.