Kids love to imagine! And it’s fun to give them the creative room to do so…that’s one of the reasons Halloween can be so much fun to celebrate with kids.
As we get closer and closer to October 31st the chatter about Halloween costume planning is nonstop! Kids just love thinking about and sharing what they plan to dress up for on Halloween.
At home or in the classroom we can weave in some writing and drawing by giving kids time to dream up their very own Halloween costume designs. Use this free printable Halloween Costume Writing Activity so kids can capture their ideas on paper. The finished drawings make great keepsakes!
Free Printable Halloween Costume Writing Activity
GET A FULL WEEK OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
There are two different versions included in the free printable Halloween Costume Writing Activity.
One version includes a sentence stem for younger preschoolers and kindergarteners. An adult can write the child’s dictated words on the line, or a child who is able can phonetically spell the words on the line.
The second page includes only a title. This version can be used in a variety of ways:
- Younger children can use this version to draw and omit the writing option.
- Children can draw a costume picture and then label the different elements included in the costume to work on nonfiction features and labeling.
- Older children can draw on part of the page and then write sentences describing the costume in more detail.
These can be kept as a keepsake at home, or in the classroom they can be made into a class book to be kept in the class library. Kids will love reading them over and over again throughout the year! You could even ask parents to send in a picture of each child in their real costume to attach to the page if you’d like.
Great Books to Read with this Activity
You know we love to include a good book whenever possible! For this writing activity read a story about Halloween costumes. Here are some great options…
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE HALLOWEEN COSTUME WRITING ACTIVITY
Complete the form below to get your free printable!
Don’t see the pink button?
GET A FULL SET OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES
Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
The 132-page Halloween Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) -at Word Family Bat Game (in color and b/w)
2) Candy Corn Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
3) Candy Corn Uppercase, Lowercase, and Beginning Sound Picture Puzzles for Letters C, A, N, D, Y, H, O and R (in color and b/w)
4) Candy Corn Counting Cards 1-10 (in color and b/w)
5) Halloween Costume Syllable Sorting Activity (in color and b/w)
6) Haunted House Colors Board Game-3 variations to work on color recognition or color word recognition (in color and b/w)
7) “Look at the Costumes” Emergent Reader-3 variations
8) 0-35 Halloween Number Cards (in color and b/w)
9) Halloween Roll and Graph Math Game (in color and b/w)
10) Halloween Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Build a Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Mats and Shape Pieces
12) My Jack-o-Lantern Recording Sheets-2 variations, one to focus on shape recognition and one to focus on writing
13) Spider Number Mats and Ways to Show Numbers 0-10
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.