Fall and cooler weather summon apple season. It’s one of our favorite times of the year as it means we can explore all sorts of fun fall themes, visit an apple orchard or pumpkin patch, and dive into a good book about fall.
When exploring an apple theme, we love to incorporate hands-on activities. After finding some decorative miniature apples at Walmart years back, we have had so much fun learning and playing with apples. From sensory bins to fine motor practice, math, and of course some play dough in between- activities with apples have so many possibilities! Here are some of our very favorite fall activities with mini apples that are sure to flex those fine motor muscles and sharpen early childhood skills.
FIND ALL OF OUR APPLE ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
Need Some Mini Apples?
During the fall you can usually find mini apples at your local craft store or Dollar Tree. We’ve also found these great options available online:
Fall Activities with Mini Apples
Enjoy all the scents of fall with this hands-on cinnamon apple sensory bin.
Have fun working on fine motor skills this fall with this bobbing for apples activity. Just grab some tongs and a large bowl from the kitchen.
After reading Dr. Seuss’ Ten Apples Up on Top, try this playdough math activity with some mini apples. Kids will love building their apple towers and it provides a great visual for ways to make ten, sorting by colors, and even creating patterns.
This ten frame apple math activity incorporates both fine motor skill practice and simple beginning addition. Check out the free printable resource too!
This free fall apple math game incorporates mini apples as you roll and color to learn shapes.
More Fun Fall Activities with Mini Apples
Try these easy prep activities with your apple manipulatives too!
- Sort apples by color and size
- Create and explore patterns
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Have an apple rolling race
- Build the outline of shapes using apples as loose parts
- Build your name outlining it with the apples
- Sing and act out apple finger play songs
- Make a pretend apple stand; make signs, menus, and “sell” apples
- Make an apple orchard art scene using apples to place on the trees
- Create an apple orchard farm using blocks, apples, and pretend toys
- Explore nonstandard measurement using the apples to measure objects
- Compare real apples and fake ones using a magnifying glass; make an anchor chart
GET A FULL WEEK OF APPLE THEME LEARNING AND PLAY
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
- Apple Number Cards (0-35)
- “Counting Apples” emergent reader
- “I See Apples” emergent reader
- Apple Letters (uppercase and lowercase in both red and green)
- Apple Life Cycle Cards (in color and b/w)
- Label the Apple Diagram (in color and b/w) with labeling cards
- Apple Pattern Cards
- Put the Apples on the Tree Game Mat
- Editable cover and pages for a class apple book
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
All of our products are also available on Teachers Pay Teachers if you prefer to shop there.