There’s something about dinosaurs that kids just find fascinating. Whether we’re reading dinosaur books, visiting a local museum, or diving into a full dinosaur theme, their enthusiasm about all things dinosaur is contagious. Over the years I’ve noticed that dinosaur eggs inspire even more excitement. During both our dinosaur play dough invitation and dinosaur small world kids played and played with the little dinosaur eggs over and over again.
With that in mind I decided that our dinosaur beginning sound sort would be even more fun if we included dinosaur eggs. Sometimes a simple addition to a basic printable can take the activity from being strictly academic to engaging and fun..and afterall that’s the goal, right?!
Free Printable Dinosaur Beginning Sound Sort Activity
FIND EVEN MORE DINOSAUR THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
Keep It Simple
Of course, if you’re in a pinch and just want to have a quick and easy activity to use, our free printable dinosaur sound sort will come in handy. Simply print, cut, and laminate if you prefer. Then let kids sort the eggs by beginning sound. This set up makes for a great activity for early finishers or a literacy center activity.
Make It More Fun
But if you want to make it even more fun grab some plastic eggs. We used old Easter eggs, but these dinosaur eggs look amazing. They even come with litte baby dinosaurs inside from some added pretend play!
Most likely you’ll need to shrink down the free printable to the appropriate size to fit inside of your eggs, but that’s is super easy to do in your printer settings. Once you’ve got your printables ready place the small beginning sound cards into your eggs. Put the header cards (the Dd and Ii cards shown below) in the area where you want kids to sort.
Then decide how you want the kids to work with the eggs. Here are three ideas that work well:
- If you want kids to be seated and not moving around the room during this activity, place the eggs in a basket or sensory bin with your favorite sensory filler (sand and shredded paper work well for this one). Then have kids open each egg and sort as they go.
- If you are up for a little movement around the room, hide the eggs in a specific center area or location in your room. Tell kids what the parameters are and let them have fun searching for the eggs. Be sure to tell them how many to look for so they know when they’re done hunting and can get started sorting.
- For the most flexibility hide eggs all over the classroom (or even outdoors!!). As in the idea above tell kids how many eggs they need to find, then get to sorting. This is a fun way to build movement into your busy schedule!
This free printable includes the Dd and Ii header cards and individual cards beginning with each sound. For the letter I both the short i sound and the long i sound are included. Click on the link below to get your free printable. If you’d like more options for sorting, our full dinosaur theme lesson plans include even more beginning sounds for sorting with your dinosaur eggs. Continue reading below for more information about what is included in the dinosuar activity pack.
MORE DINOSAUR FUN WITH PRINTABLE DINOSAUR THEME LESSON PLANS
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
The full Dinosaur Theme Lesson Plan Pack also includes:
1) Dinosaur Cards for sorting by color, making patterns and more
2) Counting Dinosaur Eggs Activity (1-10) in color and B/W
3) Count the Dinosaurs Emergent Reade (3 variations)
4) Dinosaur Roll and Graph Game in color and B/W
5) Dinosaur Skeleton Activity Mats
6) Dinosaur Word Cards
7) Beginning Sound Dinosaur Sort (D, I, N, O)
8) Dinosaur Number Cards (0-35) in color and B/W
9) Alphabet Train Dinosaur Matching Upper and Lowercase Letters
10) Rhyming Dinosaur Eggs
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.