Are you looking for a fun, quick-prep way to teach your kids about compound words? These picture compound word puzzles are a great way to learn how to blend and segment compound words. Show your kids how to make new words by starting with the largest parts in a word and working to learn how to identify and isolate the smallest parts in a word.
This important pre-reading skill is one of the phonological awareness skills students learn in preschool and kindergarten. This free printable Compound Word Puzzle set is a great way for your preschoolers and kindergarteners to practice blending two words to from a compound word.
FIND EVEN MORE PHONOLOGICAL AWARENESS ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE UNITS OF SOUND BUNDLE
How to Get Started
Download and print out your compound word puzzles. Cut out the individual pieces and the answer key, and laminate them for extended use.
Compound Word Puzzles
There are various ways to use these compound puzzles in the classroom.
- Placing them in a pocket chart for kids to match.
- Simply having the puzzle pieces in a small box or bag and letting kids work on matching the puzzles. This is a great busy bag option.
- Placing the laminated cards in your favorite sensory bin (a bin of rainbow pom poms would be great!). Have kids find the puzzle pieces and then match them.
- Place the pieces of the puzzle around the room for the kids to find. Once they’ve found them all (or think they have!), have them match the puzzles.
Compound Word Puzzles Word List
An answer key is provided to help teachers identify the correct words. It is always helpful to review the vocabulary with students before expecting them to do an activity independently.
I’d suggest doing the activity together on a pocket chart before placing it in a literacy center for extra independent practice.
Quick Check for Understanding
Use the response sheet to help students get extra cutting practice as they demonstrate that they understand the new skill.
Get your FREE Printable Compound Word Puzzles
4-in-1 Units of Sound Bundle
Help kids practice units of sound with interactive, self-checking digital games that include audio cues. Includes practice for the following phonological awareness skills:
- Concept of word: number of words in a sentence
- Blending two words to form a compound word
- Blending onset and rime to form a word
- Segmenting and counting the syllables in a word
Get Your Units of Sound Bundle
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.