During the month of October we have a lot of fun with Halloween activities. Most often kids are already excitedly chattering about what they want to be for Halloween and daydreaming of candy, so we build on that enthusiasm with a bit of Halloween-inspired fun and learning.
Sometimes that means we’re digging deep into easy Halloween sensory bins or painting with spiders, and other times that means we’re focusing in on a more academic skill like counting. With these free printable candy counting puzzles preschoolers and kindergarteners can practice number recognition, counting sets, and one-to-one correspondence.
Free Printable 1-10 Candy Counting Puzzles
GET A FULL WEEK OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
If you need a quick math activity to use during small groups or center time, these free printable candy counting puzzles are perfect. Simply print, cut, and laminate if desired.
Then set the puzzles out with your favorite math manipulative. Here we are using candy mini erasers from the Target Dollar Spot.
If you don’t have mini erasers, substitute candy corn, individually wrapped mini candies, buttons, or even play dough for kids to make their own candies…this is an excellent way to add in some extra fine motor practice during math time.
You can easily differentiate this activity by limiting the number of puzzles available to students.
The self-checking puzzles will also help kids see whether they have matched the correct pieces.
Instead of just having kids match the puzzles, have them count out sets of objects to match each number as well.
If you are working with real candy, consider pre-packaging individually zipper bags with candy so kids end up keeping their own bags once they are finished with the counting puzzle activity.
GET THE FREE PRINTABLE CANDY SHAPE PUZZLES
Click the pink button below to get your free printable!
Don’t see the pink button?
GET A FULL SET OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES
The 132-page Halloween Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) -at Word Family Bat Game (in color and b/w)
2) Candy Corn Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
3) Candy Corn Uppercase, Lowercase, and Beginning Sound Picture Puzzles for Letters C, A, N, D, Y, H, O and R (in color and b/w)
4) Candy Corn Counting Cards 1-10 (in color and b/w)
5) Halloween Costume Syllable Sorting Activity (in color and b/w)
6) Haunted House Colors Board Game-3 variations to work on color recognition or color word recognition (in color and b/w)
7) “Look at the Costumes” Emergent Reader-3 variations
8) 0-35 Halloween Number Cards (in color and b/w)
9) Halloween Roll and Graph Math Game (in color and b/w)
10) Halloween Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Build a Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Mats and Shape Pieces
12) My Jack-o-Lantern Recording Sheets-2 variations, one to focus on shape recognition and one to focus on writing
13) Spider Number Mats and Ways to Show Numbers 0-10
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.