The girls’ grandma bought them a nature tube with beautiful butterflies during a recent visit, and we’ve been waiting for spring to arrive so we could use them for this butterfly garden play dough invitation. In the past we’ve created bug play dough and garden play dough, but we’ve never had butterflies until now!
We’ve had this beautiful invitation out for weeks now, and the girls haven’t grown tired of making colorful butterfly gardens yet.
Affiliate links included
- Play dough-We chose to use green, but you could also add brown/black and blue to add more variety.
- Blue glass gems
- Toy Butterflies
- Small flowers
Tinker started by spreading out all the play dough to make grass. Then she meticulously added blue gems to make a large pond.
She then added flowers.
Then the real play began as she helped the butterflies flutter from flower to flower sipping nectar and chatting with their butterfly friends.
Get a Full Week of Butterfly Theme Learning and Play
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
In this 248-page comprehensive preschool butterfly theme lesson plan pack kids learn about the life cycle of a butterfly during a full-week (or more!) of playful reading, math, and science activities. Vivid photographs are included throughout the unit so children can see real life examples of caterpillars and butterflies. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
2) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
3) Caterpillar Uppercase Alphabet Cards
4) Butterfly Lowercase Alphabet Cards
5) Butterfly Life Cycle Cards
6) Butterfly Symmetry Matching Cards
7) Butterfly Life Cycle Word Building Mats
8) Caterpillar Measurement Recording Sheet
9) Caterpillar Patterning Activity
10) Caterpillar Syllable Sort
11) Caterpillar Egg Leaf Counting Mats (Numbers 1-10)
Get Your Lesson Plans
More Fun with Play Dough