Whether we’re observing, learning, or creating my kids are fascinated by butterfly activities. But one thing my oldest is not fascinated by is cutting. She has never really enjoyed projects that involve cutting although she does do a lot of other fine motor activities. So when possible I try to introduce an activity that involves a little bit of cutting and a craft this is of high interest to her…in this case butterflies!
For quiet time one week I set out an invitation to create this easy butterfly craft, and it was a hit! By the time the kids’ interest in the activity began to wane we had a swarm of beautiful and unique butterflies.
Materials for Butterfly Craft
This post contains affiliate links.
Our invitation to create included:
- Paper rectangles folded in half (I pre-wrote Bs on the paper so the kids could focus on cutting for this activity. As kids are ready you could also invite them to make their own butterfly designs to cut out.)
- Small squares of tissue paper
- Sequins (We always have to have a little sparkle!)
- Washi tape
- Glitter glue
See it in Action
When they first saw the tray the kids weren’t sure what they’d be making, but once they cut the first B out and opened the paper they were super excited. I also showed them how to cut a strip off the top end to make the antennae.
We pinched the fold of the paper strip into a V shape and then glued it to the rest of the butterfly. Once the kids were comfortable doing this on their own they got busy decorating.
They went back and forth from the craft table day after day during our quiet time activities. Each time they added knew details and after a day or two also grabbed some markers to add more details to their creations.
I love all the bright colors and details on their swarm of butterflies!
Get a Full Week of Butterfly Theme Learning and Play
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
1) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
2) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
3) Caterpillar Uppercase Alphabet Cards
4) Butterfly Lowercase Alphabet Cards
5) Butterfly Life Cycle Cards
6) Butterfly Symmetry Matching Cards
7) Butterfly Life Cycle Word Building Mats
8) Caterpillar Measurement Recording Sheet
9) Caterpillar Patterning Activity
10) Caterpillar Syllable Sort
11) Caterpillar Egg Leaf Counting Mats (Numbers 1-10)
Get Your Lesson Plans
More Butterfly Crafts
This post has been shared at some of these fantastic link parties.