Today we’re back for the last set of posts in the Halloween Invitations to Play series. I’m joining Buggy and Buddy, Play Trains, Twodaloo, Fun-A-Day and Nothing if Not Intentional to share some creative play ideas for Halloween.
This Week’s Halloween Invitation to Play: Black and White Halloween Sensory Bins
GET A FULL WEEK OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
The toddlers are working on learning their colors and ordering objects by size, so these black and white sensory bins were a fun way to practice both of those skills.
The black sensory bin contained black beans and a bag of bat and spider buttons purchased from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. The buttons were different sizes, so the kids could sort them both by kind and by size.
The white sensory bin contained Epsom salt and a bag of ghost buttons also purchased from Jo-Ann’s.
I set both bins out along with some scoops, a funnel, a cauldron, and a jack-o-lantern container.
Tinker enjoyed exploring with the funnel first.
Then she spent a lot of time filling and pouring from the different containers.
And in true toddler style, she repeated this over and over again!
She also had fun experimenting with the different sounds each container made when she tried to sing in them. Hooray for unplanned explorations!
Eventually we did get to sorting and comparing the sizes of the buttons, but that was more big sister’s doing than Tinker’s.
Thanks so much for joining us for the Halloween Invitations to Play series. I hope you’ve found some fun new ideas to try with your kids. Don’t forget to stop by and see what the other members of the series have planned for you today.
More Halloween Fun on Fantastic Fun and Learning
GET A FULL SET OF HALLOWEEN THEME ACTIVITIES
The 132-page Halloween Lesson Plan Set includes hands-on activities and these additional printables:
1) -at Word Family Bat Game (in color and b/w)
2) Candy Corn Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
3) Candy Corn Uppercase, Lowercase, and Beginning Sound Picture Puzzles for Letters C, A, N, D, Y, H, O and R (in color and b/w)
4) Candy Corn Counting Cards 1-10 (in color and b/w)
5) Halloween Costume Syllable Sorting Activity (in color and b/w)
6) Haunted House Colors Board Game-3 variations to work on color recognition or color word recognition (in color and b/w)
7) “Look at the Costumes” Emergent Reader-3 variations
8) 0-35 Halloween Number Cards (in color and b/w)
9) Halloween Roll and Graph Math Game (in color and b/w)
10) Halloween Picture-Word Cards (in color and b/w)
11) Build a Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Mats and Shape Pieces
12) My Jack-o-Lantern Recording Sheets-2 variations, one to focus on shape recognition and one to focus on writing
13) Spider Number Mats and Ways to Show Numbers 0-10
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.