Do you get to go apple picking in your area? We would love to go apple picking. Unfortunately we live in an area where there are no apple trees, so we have to make do with our own creative ideas. This apple tree play dough invitation is our little twist on on apple-inspired loose parts play and “apple picking.”
Apple Tree Play Dough Invitation
FIND ALL OF OUR APPLE ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE LESSON PLANS
FOR HOME PRESCHOOL AND PRESCHOOL CLASSROOMS.
- Red, yellow, green and brown play dough-We added a bit of apple pie spice to our red and brown play dough to add a touch of scent.
- Jumbo Tweezers (affiliate link)
Setting Up the Play Dough Invitation
Gather your materials and place them in a kid-friendly tray. If you’d like, set out a mat or tray to make the work space easier to cleanup.
I love seeing how kids approach play dough invitations. With this invitation my youngest created the tree trunk out of play dough and then added twig branches.
Next she layered in leaves.
She finished by rolling red play dough balls and adding them to the tree. (Later she made yellow and green trees, but she reminded me that they don’t all grow on the same tree so she couldn’t mix the colors.)
Once she was done creating her tree I encouraged her to use the tweezers to pick the apple trees. This is excellent fine motor practice! She put them all in a small basket and counted how many apples she had made.
Allow your child plenty of time to create freely, but if you’d like to incorporate some additional skills you might:
- Discuss the parts of a tree using the vocabulary (roots, trunk, branches, leaves, fruit)
- Roll and add-Roll a number cube and add that many apples to the tree
- Roll and remove-Roll a number cube and remove that many apples from the tree
- Make “apple” patterns using the different colored apples you’ve made
Are you teaching an apple-inspired theme soon?
GET A FULL WEEK OF APPLE THEME LEARNING AND PLAY
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
Help children learn more about apples in a playful hands-on way with the apple activities in this comprehensive set of lesson plans for preschool, PreK and TK classrooms. This apple theme preschool lesson plan pack can be used during the fall, back-to-school time, in conjunction with a fruit theme, aligned with exploring the letter A, etc. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
- Apple Number Cards (0-35)
- “Counting Apples” emergent reader
- “I See Apples” emergent reader
- Apple Letters (uppercase and lowercase in both red and green)
- Apple Life Cycle Cards (in color and b/w)
- Label the Apple Diagram (in color and b/w) with labeling cards
- Apple Pattern Cards
- Put the Apples on the Tree Game Mat
- Editable cover and pages for a class apple book
GET YOUR LESSON PLANS
All of our products are also available on Teachers Pay Teachers if you prefer to shop there.