Since play dough is such a popular play activity for kids, we like to incorporate it into our learning activities often. This outer space play dough invitation is inspired by our space theme lesson plans for home preschool and preschool classrooms. Set it out for kids to play with as they are learning about the night sky and the planets.
Outer Space Play Dough Invitation
Affiliate links included.
- Black play dough-Buy some or make your own with black icing color.
- Planet manipulatives
- Star rhinestones
- Silver tinsel stems-trimmed to various lengths
- Glass rocks
Outer Space Play Dough Activity Ideas
We set this invitation out alongside picture books about the solar system. Some kids chose to try to create a model of the solar system by using the diagrams in the books. Others chose to design their own solar systems. Both approaches are perfectly acceptable.
As kids play they may also:
- Ask the names of the different planets
- Name identifying characteristics of the different planets
- Practice counting the planets
- Sort the planets from largest to smallest
- Make patterns or designs with the stars and other manipulatives
Get Even More Outer Space Ideas
Continue learning with outer space inspired activities in our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.