Whether your’e going to the zoo or learning about zoos and wild animals from home, there is so much to discover and explore! We recently finished our zoo theme for this year, but I’m always collecting new ideas and planning for future themes. I can’t wait to see what new resources and ideas everyone has to share this week.
One activity I couldn’t wait to try during our zoo theme was this edible zoo from Blog Me Mom. Not only is the finished product awesome, I love how the whole process was led by the child with a little help from mom. It inspired me to set up this fun invitation to create.
While the kids gathered some of our zoo animals, I set up large pans to hold the kids’ zoo creations.
Around the pans I set up different edible items they could use to design their own zoos:
- puffed rice cereal
- chocolate cereal
- blue and green gelatin
- broccoli florets
They couldn’t wait to get started. We didn’t talk too much about how they would design their zoos, but they quickly began to discuss which foods would be snow, which would be grass, etc. And, to my surprise, nobody dumped all of the foods in the center of their pans in a giant mess! Although that would have been fine, too.
Once they were happy with they layout of their edible zoos, they were eager to move the animals in.
They spent quite a while playing with the animals, giving them baths, and helping them make new friends with the other animals.
And, of course, there was a little taste testing a long the way…
… and A LOT of eating when playtime was over!
Simple set up, easy clean up, and lots of fun! I hope you’ll give the idea a try sometime soon.
Now we’d love for you to share how you
Discover & Explore: Zoo Visits & Wild Animals!
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, book activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, free printables–anything that might be helpful to those wanting to put together activities based on this week’s theme
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you are linking up, please be sure to grab and post the Discover and Explore button. We love to share! And we want as many people to add their posts as possible, so we have a wonderful collection to share with you.
The linky will remain open for two weeks. Then both co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post and share featured posts on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. If you aren’t already, please remember to follow us so you’re sure not to miss those feature posts. And don’t forget to stop by KC Edventures to see what Jacquie is sharing for this week’s theme.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/category/discover-and-explore" title="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Discover125x125.png" alt="Discover & Explore Weekly Themed Linky" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Previous Discover and Explore Themes
- Earth-Friendly Activities
- A Day at the Park (Nature & Outdoor Activities)
- Museums and Fine Arts
- Backyard Games
Upcoming Discover and Explore Themes
- June 12-Build It! (Construction, Building and Engineering Ideas for Kids)
- June 19-Summer Fun
- June 26-Patriotic Resources
- July 3-Beach
- July 10-Vacations
- July 17-Life Under the Sea
This post has been shared at some of these fantastic link parties.