This week we’re going to Discover & Explore Community Helpers. After reading today’s post we’d love for you to share your favorite activities and ideas to help kids learn about community helpers. Old posts and news posts are welcome.
This post contains referral links.
Learning About Doctors
Ironically, the week I planned to do activities related to community helpers, we were all sick. I didn’t have to plan anything. We had very authentic ways to learn about one particular helper, our doctor! After three visits to the doctor in one week, I grabbed a few books and we talked a little more about the role doctors play in our community.
Both of the girls are always intrigued by stethoscopes. When I saw a “Make Your Own Stethoscope” experiment in the book, Let’s Meet a Doctor, it looked like an interesting way to learn more about them.
- Two funnels~We experimented with a few different sizes. Use what you have on hand or can get inexpensively at a store.
- 2 feet of clear plastic tubing that will fit either over or inside the funnel spouts.~I took our funnels to the hardware store and chose the tubing that best fit our funnels, so the size of the tubing will vary.
- Electrical Tape
1. Snip the end off of the balloon. Pull the balloon over the end of the funnel and secure it with electrical tape. Be sure the balloon is pulled tight and flat.
2. Place both ends of the tubing onto the funnels. Tape the tubing to the funnels if needed to secure the ends.
3. Be sure the room is quiet. Place the balloon end over your heart. Listen in the other end. If the sound is too faint to hear, try running around and getting your heart going. Then listen again. We used a smaller funnel for the listening end, and this helped us hear the sound better than using the larger funnel. The first time the kids hear their heartbeats they are amazed! I was a bit amazed that it worked, too!
4. Of course, you can expect a lot of pretend play and check-ups when your done. Enjoy!
Now it’s your turn. We’d love for you to share how you
Discover & Explore: Community Helpers
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, book activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, free printables–anything that might be helpful to those wanting to put together activities based on this week’s theme
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
The linky will remain open for one week. On Fridays all co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post and share featured posts on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board.
Don’t forget to visit the other co-hosts to see what they are sharing for this week’s theme.
- October 9–Halloween
- October 16–Dinosaurs & Fossil Fun
- October 23–Creating with Natural Materials
- October 30–Science Experiments